How old do you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think as the boomer's continue to age you may find additional charges for potty stops.

Last year I did 50 cave dives, with doubles, stages, and 02 bottles. Yes, it demands concentration, and a lot of hard work. I can't image driving around in a golf cart, whacking a little ball (like many of my contempories) when I can do alien exploration of underwater caves, wreaks, and treasure diving. I just completed Full Cave with the NACD. How long can this go on? Don't know, but when the day comes to hang up the regulator it will be a sad day for me.

I'm 60 and am thinking I may only go another 20 years. By that time my favorite buddies will all be in their 50's and will probably have quit diving because they've gotten too old!

I think as the boomer's continue to age you may find additional charges for potty stops.

As we age we may not need more potty stops. They'll be making cars that have a sun roof-type sliding seat with a porta-potty built in underneath. The major problem there is remembering to empty it at the destination so it doesn't fill up and spill over.

I'll be 49 in May and have over 1000 dives in the last 5 years. I had stopped diving because I was so busy and all the other getting on with life reasons.

I was just asked to join a new dive exploration company and although I probably won't be doing the really deep diving I may do more training to get into good enough shape to do the second project we are doing. It's a dive to the last Japanese ship to be sunk by a sub during WW2, as yet undiscovered but we have located it.

So no, I don't plan on giving up diving any time soon. That's why I moved to the Philippines and my kids are just about old enough to start diving... :D

Moving tropical seems to be a concession that many of us are willing to make as we age :)

I'm 53 and only started diving 3 years ago. It has been a 10 year dream of my wife and I to have a place in the 'Sun' before we got to old to enjoy it. We are looking in Mexico (Mayan Riviera) this June and it couldn't work out better for my diving and her (non-diving) sun worshipping. I hope this keeps me diving for a LONG LONG time. I was just in Curacao 2 weeks ago and saw a 74 year old taking his two grandaughters on their 1st dive trip. I want to be that man. I mean - in 20 years - I want to be that man.

I dove with a man in his late 70's on Maui a few times. He couldn't haul his gear to the waters edge but once in he was very solid.

Back
Top Bottom