How old were you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarineVet32935

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Originally, Melbourne, FL. Now in the foothills of
# of dives
When I was 8 years old, my dad gave me a mask and some fins, when we were camping at Ponce de Leon Springs, near Deland, FL. First time in the water I was hooked and had to be dragged out of the 72 degree water, with blue lips and wrinkled toes. I did my first scuba dive at 14 and was an avid diver by 16, though I didn't get certified until I was 21.

My daughter Laura, received her first mask and fins, literally, when she was just learning to walk. She was a natural and was snorkeling all over the pool, before she could even walk around it, without falling down. I kid her that her second pair of shoes were fins. At 8, while camping in the Keys, I gave her my pony bottle and a two pound weight, to carry in her hands. The campsite had a small, roped off swimming area, where she could see and swim with tropical fish in about 5' of water. She was hooked and started her OW class, a week before her 12th birthday. She's 21 now and looking forward to the day when she can show my grand-daughter the wonders of the sea.

Oh, and that's not my grand-daughter pictured in my avatar, that's my youngest daughter, Jordy, now 4.

How old were you when you first discovered snorkeling and diving?

Loved snorkelng as a kid from about 8
Forgot what was swimming was around 14 (so sad)
Red discovered snorkeling at 38
Got obsessive about skin-diving at 47
Scuba certified at 48 (2005)

Pete

8 or 9 breathed off dads tank in the pool. Certified at 12th Birthday. 16 years later, looking at my cave gear wondering why I am so broke......

I was 9 when I was taught to use Scuba in the apartment pool. I spent many weekends there are never grew tired of it. We moved and I didn't continue until later in life. Certified at 28.

Back
Top Bottom