How old were you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I watched Sea Hunt when I was too young to know how old I was. I was given a mask and snorkel when I was 6. I did my first dive on scuba when I was 9 (see my avatar) and was hooked. It took a while to get certified though.

MarineVet32935:
How old were you when you first discovered snorkeling and diving?

I was oh so old. lol Started snorkeling at 24 when I lived on the beach in Puerto Rico. Didn't start diving until 2004 at 35. My son started snorkeling two years ago at 5 1/2 when he received his first mask and snorkel. He has already gone through two masks. First a Wahoo Jr mask and then I let him have one of my masks that I never used. He started learning to free dive last year in the deep end of the pool which is about 10'. The kid is fearless and loves the water. Scarey combination for a mom. :D For Christmas this year he received black Tusa fins with booties. He is already looking forward to diving when he is older.

I got certified when I was 40. I wish I had done it when I was 20.

First certified when I was 18 as a sopmore in college. How awesome it was to be able to take scuba as my phys ed credits.

I learned how to swim when I was 5-6 years old. I then tried swimming with mask and fins... no snorkel though (still don't use it much).

My first scuba experience was when I was 15. Just had a free activity day at school and I like to try new things.

After that I always wanted to get certified but it took some 17 more odd years before it happened. Now I'm hooked and will start my DM-training in a month. Before that I'm heading to the Philippines tomorrow for hopefully 30 good dives =)

Like most, I was given a mask and fin set when I was a small kid (6 years old) and basically learned to swim with them. (Unfortunately, I got too dependent upon the fins.) Shortly thereafter, I learned why it's NOT a good idea to dive into the swimming pool while wearing the mask! :D

Learned to use the snorkel a couple years later at the local Boys Club. I'd always wanted to scuba dive, but never really had the opportunity when I was a kid (read: short on cash).

Moved away from the coast unfortunately, and kind of forgot about it. I did finally re-discover my scuba desire when I was 38, and was certified shortly thereafter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom