how old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has less to do with time and more to do with the technology.

For example, you can still buy a new horse collar BC but I would regard that as "vintage" right out of the box as the technology it represents has been superceded since the mid 70's.

In my opinion anything that predates jacket style BC's (about mid 70's) is vintage.

There are no formal rules, the one I use for myself is that in order for it to be vintage (to me) it must have been made in or before 1975 OR be equipment of the design, method or as used in diving practice prior to 1975. Vintage diving methods must be as practiced on or before 1975. Some types of equipment like jacket BC, split fins etc are never vintage

So, any type of jacket BC does not fit even if it were made in 1974 because it is not of the method or practice of vintage diving--like Mr. DA said, it is not just age but other things as well. Prior to the early 70s there were no BCs and very few SPG or octapus type rigs--we dove with a tank, double hose regulator and masks and fins, some of us still dive that way. On the other hand, a new horsecollar BC, new reproduction UDT fins and such as that are vintage even though brand new because they are of the same type, dsign and style and method. I realize there is room for argument and some items can go both ways. To me a single hose regulator is vintage only when used without an octapus and with a J valve though some few SPGs are vintage such as the SeaVue. So, to me a 1966 Calypso single hose used with no LP inflator, no octapus and maybe a SPG is vintage.

I think we are coming to a time when there maybe need for another catagory. I call that catagory "Transitional". It was transitional between modern diving today and our current equipment and methods and the Vintage era. In this period, roughly 1974 to 1988. I choose 1988 because that is when computers began coming on to the scene and other electronic dive devices. So, roughly, from the advent of jacket BCs up to the use of computers is Transitional. There were many cool regulators, fins, back inflate BCs, consoles, timers that are Transitional as well the addition of all sorts of color to dive gear. In some respects and please don't take this to far--but--Hog and DIR are somewhat Transitional as they eschew the use of computers and use back inflate BC which came into wide spread use in those years. Yes, they were there--I have one. Probably putting way to much thought into all this but those are my catagories. Whether vintage or not, if you like it then dive it and have fun.
N

The transitional category idea is a good one. Back inflate BC's like the Wategill At Pac that were essentially a wing on a hard plastic bakc plate and harness were the new thing and were in direct competition with the then also new jacket BC's.

Dive equipment for the most part came in black, orange or yellow and traditional divers were slightly disturbed by new colors and the idea of fashion trends in diving that were more or less deigned to get more women in the sport. Tanks came in two flavors ,AL 80's and steel 72's, with the odd steel or aluminum 50 seen on occassion.

Dive knives were still big and using a horse collar BC was still accpted as was (to a lesser degree) diving without an SPG and relying on a J valve.

To clarify things to some extent, a truly vintage horsecollar BC could be called "vintage", whereas a modern horsecollar would be termed "vintage STYLE".

DA, hello, I was not really trying to create a new catagory but I have been thinking as you obviously have that there is a period back there, whatever we call it, that is clearly transitional. I don't think we will see a Transitional" forum ---lol--but it is fun to observe how things have changed. I am not sure exactly what sort of name might be applied to the diving equipment and methods of today, I am almost of a mind to call it the "Tech Era" because even though most divers are not Tech divers the Tech styles and equipment and methods are heavily influencing current equipment and methodology. Do you agree or am I all wet (pun again)? Frankly, if I apply these nomenclatures to myself, I dive Vintage and Transitional equipment. While I do feel that nothing typifies the Transitional Era better than a jacket BC, like you say, there were the roots of modern back inflation BC/wings and you perhaps dived them as did I. This was a very experimental time wasn't it? N

I have heard the term "Classic" to define that age range, up through about 1988, although the ORCA Edge was out before that. 1988 was the year of the SUUNTO SME based on Navy Tables as I recall...

Dave McLean

Back
Top Bottom