How Soon Before Everyone is Using a Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, getting into underwater photography really persuade me to using a R/B. I got certified on the Dolphin back in 2004, and dove it for a while. Didn't like the hassle of breaking it down, all the checks before diving etc, and went back to O/C , as there are pros and cons for both.

Then getting into taking UW photos recently, and buying a very nice DSLR set up, I really started to enjoy taking pictures, and showing them to friends and family, and seeing everyones responses to them, some coming out so beautiful, I said to myself I took that?

Then I got back into the water recently with the Dolphin again, last weekend matter of fact, and realized how much I REALLY missed not having those bubbles in my face, and realized how much MORE interaction you really have with the fish. Last weekend the fish were swimming right up to my mask, staring in through the glass, looking at me like I was part of them.

I got outta of the water, sold the Dolphin right away, in hopes to save up to go CCR.
Just so happened someone local was selling a Sport Kiss mCCR locally, that i was very happy buying from, and decided to do it now, rather then later.

I only plan on diving within recreational limits, and for me, it was a big concern to have the risk taken of diving a CCR re-breather, for recreational limits. Then I said to my self, their are a few, like a Co2 hit, which i have to worry about, because its one of those things that just cant be monitored, and the other risk that are involved.

But then when you think of how many people are diving these units today, and diving them safely everyday, and enjoying them, I really don't see it any more risk then O/C, or diving for that matter. I get on dive boats today, and I see people putting on the 1st stage back wards, etc, and I say to myself, and I'm diving with them??

I got into it with confidence that my skills today are comfortable enough to learn, and to use a mCCR unit , and grow with it diving. Would I have done it years ago, probably not, i was just getting into them , and using the Dolphin as a stepping stone. A few years later, and I feel comfortable with my skills, that I will be OK diving the unit, and understand what can happen if I don't follow the rules of diving CCR.

I think for me it will be a very positive experience, and hoping for great results and benefits of diving a RB.

No more lugging around big heavy tanks, no more bubbles constantly in my face, and they are LOUD, no more scaring the fish away setting up for my next shot, and the list goes on.

If it doesn't work out for me, then I know I haver went the furthest I could have gone, and I'll go back to O/C and stay there, and dive it at least knowing I have gave the " Darker Side " a chance :)

An RB for Photo & Video is definitely the way to go. And with the price of camera systems nowadays, what's another 5-10 for a RB. HAHAHAHAHA

I've been playing with idea of going to more advanced tech diving and RB's. Do I see myself getting into RB's anytime soon... not for the next 5 years. Cost and other uses for the money.... IE new car and getting my own house, have kept me from going down that path. Now within next 10-15, the road will be traveled.

When I first started diving it was to get away from snorkeling and being able to stay down as opposed to "woops time to run up for air". I still love to snorkel and just swim, there's even a freedom to skin diving and snorkeling in shallows that I don't miss my tanks at times. So the extra freedom with responsibility given by using a RB system sounds like the zen balance underwater.

I too have been seeing an increased number of rebreather divers as well as an increased number of rebreathers offered to divers.

In 2006 on the USS Monitor expedition, there was one ccr diver. In 2007, there was as many or more ccr divers than open circuit. The numbers definately seem to be on the rise. Mine is on order.

Well, I just finished my boris training course and love it. The unit is incredible and I am looking forward to continuing the learning process as the dive season progresses.

I don't think so

I have been diving for 34 years, live in florida have numerous instructor certs including solo.

Heck I have never even used Nitrox.

Keep it simple and dive

Well, I just finished my boris training course and love it. The unit is incredible and I am looking forward to continuing the learning process as the dive season progresses.

Congratulations and welcome to the dark side!

I don't think so

I have been diving for 34 years, live in florida have numerous instructor certs including solo.

Heck I have never even used Nitrox.

Keep it simple and dive

Rebreathers are certainly not for everyone! Rebreathers are definitely time intensive, so if you are of the "Keep It Simple" school of thought, then they're not for you.

However, for those who are not satisfied with the limits applying to "The Way It's Always Been," it's hard to not see the benefits of a rebreather! Heck, I know people that still don't even own a cell phone of a computer!:shakehead:

More people will use them when they require less attention to detail, less maintenance and cost a lot less money.

More people will use them when they require less attention to detail, less maintenance and cost a lot less money.

I don't disagree with you, but as they become more and more available, they will be purchased. Remember, manufacturers always attempt to stand out against their peers, but it's difficult to come up with new inovative designs, year after year. Every year as manufacturers improve their designs, eventually, going the route of rebreathers will be a more viable option for them, because they will always be looking for designs that allow them to change their lines and make a profit. Every year I'm sure they get closer to going from a straight open-circuit lines to lines which will incorporate closed-circuit technology, especially as the training agencies deveolp curriculums to compliment the equipment and certify more instructors.

Cis-Lunar has already developed a recreational rebreather which incorporates a handful of new technology that will make it exponentially safer for the recreational diver to take advantage of closed-circuit technology, without all of the hasstle that generally comes with it (i.e., self-calibrating sensors, cartridged scrubbers, no manual gas addition options, onboard bailout, incorporated green light (dive) / red light (surface) display, simplified built-in computer, etc.) Once they eventually release that rebreather, and if they market it effectively, things could change much quicker than most non-rebreather divers anticipate.

Time will tell!

Back
Top Bottom