How to achieve neutral buoyancy to take pics snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi I really want to improve my photographic skills when snorkeling by getting under the subject or approaching the subject slowly so it doesn't swim off.

However if the reef is 2m below, you have to dive down at speed to get a pic, which causes the fish to dart away. Then I immediately start floating back to the surface before I've even finished pressing the shutter button. Therefore I assume I would need to be neutrally buoyant at 1m (ish). How can I achieve this in a warm sea (i.e. Maldives etc). Do I buy a weights belt? Or is it impossible to do what I want?

Many thanks

It's hard enough at 2 meters with scuba gear to remain motionless. It'd be almost impossible free diving. Well, pretty hard anyway...
If you wear enough weight to sink you to 2 meters with a full breath, you going to be pretty negative anyway and most likely banging into the bottom busting up some coral.
To do the least damage, maybe just put a few lbs on a weight belt, be slightly positive at 2 meters, dive down and with your thumb and forefinger, gently hold onto a rock or something....other than fire coral...and try to get your shot.

Oh, OK. I think I get it. Thanks for the input, I'll tinker around with it some more this weekend.

In order to get precise control, so that when you come up from below the fish, and slowly swim into a range of a foot or so ( less distance if macro, a bit more distance if wide angle) check out the video linked here.
The reverse kick is much easier to learn without tanks on...watch the actions in the video with someone else, then try it on top of a table, with the other person watching you...try to duplicate the motion...then practice in water.

This technique lets you back up if you drift in too close.
For snorkeling, it will also work much better a pound heavy, than a pound too positively bouyant( which would make your legs even more likely to ascent in the kicking action, when you dont want them to--you just want backwards. With good technique, there is just backwards, no up or ascent issue in reverse.

YouTube - gue-reversekick1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom