How to adjust Zeagle Onyx to avoid free-flows?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Zeagle Onyx regulator and second stage. The second stage breathes very easily, which is great, but it's too "touchy" for me. It free-flows on a regular basis: on the surface, when I remove it from my mouth underwater for any reason, etc. It can also be difficult to stop the free-flows.

There are two adjustments on the second stage, a lever (+ and -) and a knob. Which one do I need to adjust to avoid the free-flows?

I know that the free-flows do not start when I have the lever all the way to the "-" side, but that's only supposed to be for the pre-dive mode, isn't it?

I hope I'm not asking too much - I want it to breathe nicely at 100 fsw and yet not free-flow every time I dive!

---------- Post added July 10th, 2014 at 03:30 AM ----------

I think I found my answer already:

"When you remove the reg from your mouth immediately turn the MOUTHPIECE down. If it still freeflows flip the lever to predive which will cancel the venturi effect and that should stop the freeflow. You can also turn the adjustment knob in (clockwise) to to make the tuning a bit less aggressive and thus less likely to freeflow."

Messing with the +/- lever is fine at the surface, but annoying mid-dive, so I'm planning on trying it with the adjustment knob 1/4 turn in for my next dive. It was turned all the way out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom