How to approach diving with a health issue? (CVS)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Everyone,

I have, in the past, been an avid diver. I never passed up the opportunity to get wet.

I have enjoyed diving all over the US, Mexico and Belize.

Unfortunately, three years ago I developed a health issue that I have not been able to resolve. After three years of doctors, test and procedures the only answer I have is a diagnosis of "cyclic vomiting syndrome with unknown cause".

The short story is that I have sudden onset nausea and vomiting. It can be very unpredictable.

This has kept me from diving for fear of having an episode while on a dive.

I have heard of divers vomiting during a dive and not drowning....... I simply have no idea how to safely deal with it.

Any suggestions as to how I can deal with this safely would be much appreciated!!!

Vomiting isn't such a big deal , if you feel it coming and you are able to keep cool with the reg out of your mouth you can just take it out, throw up and put it back in.
That's what happened to me on a rough safety stop.

Throwing up into your regulator is also an option but its not fun to clean after.

How ever i have no clue how your syndromes are or how violent the vomiting attacks are, im talking from personal experience of having some nausea and throwing up. Nothing Medical.

This illness has no relation to vertigo or Menieres Disease?

Edit: nevermind, see my post below

our OW instructor said that it is probably safer to throw up to your regulator than taking it out before throwing up, she said that people have a reflex of gasping air right after throwing up so there is greater risk of inhaling water if the reg is not in your mouth. never tried though so don't know how true it is :D

you can switch to your octo when cleaning the puke from the main regulator. should not be that big of a deal . your diving buddies may want to keep some distance though when seeing the episode:eek:

I just read up on your condition and from what you've said and what I read, it would seem that diving is contraindicated.

As I understood it, you've said you have no warning of an oncoming episode. You didn't mention whether or not you're on medications. Neither did you say how severe or long lasting your events/episodes are.

I'm not a doctor and in your shoes I'd be desperately wanting to dive but pretty sure my fins would be permanently hung up. For you sadly, you probably need to do the same, at the very least until you can discern definite pattern and/or onset warnings. Then, maybe

Thanks Everyone for the replies and for the link.

The linked article also mentions the reflex causing you to take a deep breath immediately after vomiting. That could be problematic if you don't have your regulator in your mouth.

I just read up on your condition and from what you've said and what I read, it would seem that diving is contraindicated.

As I understood it, you've said you have no warning of an oncoming episode. You didn't mention whether or not you're on medications. Neither did you say how severe or long lasting your events/episodes are.

I'm not a doctor and in your shoes I'd be desperately wanting to dive but pretty sure my fins would be permanently hung up. For yousadly, you probably need to do the same, at the very least until you can discern definite pattern and/or onset warnings. Then, maybe

My episodes vary considerably. Sometimes I vomit once and that's it. At the other extreme I had one that went on for a week. Sometimes i get some forewarning. Other times just a few seconds. I am taking a variety of medications that help a little bit. Unfortunately they don't eliminate the episodes.

I have been fighting with this for 3-1/2 years. I haven't been in the water in over 4 years :(

Could you direct me to the information regarding CVS and diving?

Thanks again Everyone.

I didn't find an article linking the two. If you're suffering what I read, and apparently you are at least some of the time, it just seems far too dangerous.

If you were always just one and done, and that was the end of the episode or aftermath symptoms, then perhaps some diving could be done but the longer episodes with no warning, starting during a dive could be the end of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom