How to attach Part A to Part B ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, there has to be a part, or parts, to mate these two together ... but I'm not finding it! Bonus points if the solution is under $50. Any solutions?

Thanks!

ballclamp.jpg

Swap the end of your flex arm.? It is a YS connector, named after the series of Sea & Sea YS strobes.

You could find a ball end for your flex arm and a ball clamp - but putting a ball clamp on the end of a flex arm seems silly. You may find that the best solution involves tossing your flex arm and starting over with a ball arm system?

Or find a YS mount for your light.

The solution will be expensive.

Swap the end of your flex arm.? It is a YS connector, named after the series of Sea & Sea YS strobes. You could find a ball end for your flex arm and a ball clamp - but putting a ball clamp on the end of a flex arm seems silly. You may find that the best solution involves tossing your flex arm and starting over with a ball arm system? Or find a YS mount for your light. The solution will be expensive.

I guess I should just think about using the ball arms and clamps I already have. The flex arm really is a good solution, but I'm not going to put $$ into it. Ball arms it is ...

Mangrove A-LML-YSU buy dive - Aditech USA

what size is the ball end?

you might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else too
I think this is the wrong part? And I have no idea what you would use it for.

This part provides the female portion of a YS mount at the end of your flex arm. It is the same mount that you find on an older Sea & Sea strobe. It will fit onto the YS male connector on the end of your existing flex arm. And allow you to connect another flex arm to your current flex arm. What? I can not think of any practical use for this piece except to extend a flex arm with a different brand of flex arm...

You also need to be careful about what type of flex arm you buy pieces for. I believe the L&M uses the real stuff (Loc-Line) while Fantasea and others use noncompatible bits. I can not tell from your picture, but I do not think your flex arm is Loc-Line.

I think this is the wrong part? And I have no idea what you would use it for.
This part provides the female portion of a YS mount at the end of your flex arm. It is the same mount that you find on an older Sea & Sea strobe. It will fit onto the YS male connector on the end of your existing flex arm. And allow you to connect another flex arm to your current flex arm. What? I can not think of any practical use for this piece except to extend a flex arm with a different brand of flex arm...
You also need to be careful about what type of flex arm you buy pieces for. I believe the L&M uses the real stuff (Loc-Line) while Fantasea and others use noncompatible bits. I can not tell from your picture, but I do not think your flex arm is Loc-Line.

Funny you should mention this ... when I first looked at it, I didn't have time to really LOOK at it, but when I went back and did so, I came to your conclusion too. I don't even remember where I originally got this flex arm, and I know it's the cheap(er) stuff, but it's actually worked well, and is functional for what I need on this trip. The search continues ...

Your lock line end cap is a fitting for a specific type of light I suspect. The light itself (looks like a BigBlue) has a 1" ball mount, which seems standard for that brand.

You could either buy a fitting to connect the lock line part to the ball mount, or remove the ball and attach a loc-line base to the light using a screw with the correct thread so you don't damage the threads on the light.

Here's a link to one of many available loc-line bases. 3/4
Note that the size of the loc line is important. There's small (about 1/2in) and large (3/4in). That end in your photo on the loc line will pop right off. You might also have to buy a line-to-line adapter like this
Loc-Line 3/4 Inch Double Socket [loc.61514] - $3.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

So IMO the easiest and cheapest route is to remove the ball and go loc-line all the way.

Your lock line end cap is a fitting for a specific type of light I suspect. The light itself (looks like a BigBlue) has a 1" ball mount, which seems standard for that brand.

You could either buy a fitting to connect the lock line part to the ball mount, or remove the ball and attach a loc-line base to the light using a screw with the correct thread so you don't damage the threads on the light.

Here's a link to one of many available loc-line bases. 3/4
Note that the size of the loc line is important. There's small (about 1/2in) and large (3/4in). That end in your photo on the loc line will pop right off. You might also have to buy a line-to-line adapter like this
Loc-Line 3/4 Inch Double Socket [loc.61514] - $3.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

So IMO the easiest and cheapest route is to remove the ball and go loc-line all the way.
From the image this looks like a FantaSea YS mount. Hence the arm is not loc-line. loc-line bits will not fit.

The OP needs to figure out which brand of flex arm if they wish to add to it.

Um, loc-line is loc-line is loc-line. It started life as coolant conduit for lathes and milling machines, and now can be found extremely inexpensively in any machining supply house (grainger etc.).

That said, the camera housing folks have made many custom adaptors and connectors for their gear, and many of these are indeed proprietary (i.e thing for brand X won't fit brand Y). This applies to adapters and many and fittings, but the loc-line is generic and only diameter really matters.

As for that ball mount, it's generic enough I 3d printed one for my Sola 1200. What I printed looks identical to what's in the OP's photo and probably is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom