How to attach Safety Shears to Nighthawk BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got some safety shears. I think the best place to attach them is to the top of the Weight pocket with the handle of the shears facing towards my back so they don't get in the way of releasing the weights.

How should I attach them? I really don't want to use screws right now because I don't want to poke holes in my new bcd and I'm not sure if this is the best location for the shears yet. My BCD doesn't have any pockets big enough for the shears.

FYI on the cummerbund strap I have a trilobyte attached.

If you have the room to spare mount it through one of your shoulder straps; handle pointing towards your center. Keep the excess strap outside of your sheath's loop and drapped over the shears so if you unclip it will be less likely for the sheath to drop off.

You can also use a hot nail and poke 4 holes right above the weightpockets where the fabric gets soft. Use 2 zipties to secure the sheath there.
The hot nail will melt the fabric and keep it from unraveling.
I wouldn't want to do this to my own BC unless it's the only way I could reach the shears. You may want to play with the shoulder straps a bit and loosen them. Keeping them really tight doesn't make the BC fit better, it usually just controls the height of the pockets.

Thanks for the post. I figured out that I could slide the sheath to the shears onto the strap for the integrated weight release. It sits back behind the buckle and the buckle keeps it from coming forward and interfering with the releases. It works well there and no permanent mods were needed.

You could always rig it and tie it down with a 550 paracord. Last time I check, near the weight pocket clip, there are a few holes in the webbing where you can simply run the paracord line vertically and loop it around the belt loop on the safety shears sheath. That should do the trick. You can even loop the cord a few time, so that way in case of an emergency, you got some 550 cordage with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom