How to back mount a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

I'm considering getting a 19 cf pony as a redundant air supply. I sometimes do some (admittedly pretty bad still) UW photography, so I think I will want to back mount it.

What are the ways to back mount a pony, and what are the pros and cons of each method? Is there a generally accepted "best practice" for back mounting a pony?

Thanks,

Joss

There are plenty of brackets for mounting a tank to your back tank. The ones I like best slip behind the tank cam strap rather than having anything attached to BC or primary tank. I have 3 of them that we don't use anymore and would gladly sell you one cheap. One piece attaches to the pony while the other slips behind the cam strap. Then they connect and a pin holds them together. It is possible to unlock and pull the pin underwater so a buddy could take the pony from you if needed.

Not intended to be a sales pitch, but I bought them because it was the best combination of features and price I found after many years of trying different mounts and slings.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Zeagle sells straps to mount a pony bottle to the cam bands on your BC. I use them, easy to mount & easy to install the pony.

Not to say yay or nay regarding your decision (though I have my personal opinions about it) but I know some pretty good photographers and none of them back mount their ponies. The perceived problem of slinging doesn't actually manifest when diving while there are some drawbacks to backmounting. Just saying this so you don't decide on a course of action before trying the alternatives.

...//... What are the ways to back mount a pony, and what are the pros and cons of each method? ...

When I was diving a single cylinder, I tried EVERYTHING possible to back mount a pony. Best I could do was something I came up with on my own:

PonyClampFace.jpg

And from the side...

PonyClampSide.jpg

One handed operation, (top photo) you lift 'A' while pushing IN on 'B'. Releases pony quickly. Needs a bit of development, but nothing major. I'll send it to *almost* any manufacturer that wants to develop it. Public domain now, I couldn't care less.

Bottom line: Nothing beats properly slinging a pony. Simple and effective. Try a 'tailpiece' for the bottom pony clip when slinging it. Pulls the pony in closer.

I'm considering getting a 19 cf pony as a redundant air supply. I sometimes do some (admittedly pretty bad still) UW photography, so I think I will want to back mount it.

What are the ways to back mount a pony, and what are the pros and cons of each method? Is there a generally accepted "best practice" for back mounting a pony?

This is a bit of a religious debate, but I think asking the best way to back mount a pony is like asking the best way to poke yourself in the eye with a stick. The answer is "don't!"

My personal preference is to rig it as a stage bottle and hang it on d-rings in front/side. You can see it, turn it on/off if needed, know where the reg is and can check it's gauge to make sure it's actually full, if you have an OCD moment underwater.

DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

Should cost you between $10 and $40 depending on if you use stainless steel clips.

flots.

This is a bit of a religious debate, but I think asking the best way to back mount a pony is like asking the best way to poke yourself in the eye with a stick. ...//...

:rofl3:

One exception to your statement, IMHO, is PSD's who live their lives face down in the mix. Other than that, it is another prime example of 'recurrent discovery'. :wink:

:rofl3:

One exception to your statement, IMHO, is PSD's who live their lives face down in the mix. Other than that, it is another prime example of 'recurrent discovery'. :wink:

Exactly! When we're doing searches, whatever viz that "was" there is gone due to stirring up the muck.

I have my Alt 2nd Stage across my chest and secured on the shoulder strap D-ring, and my computer is clipped to a retractor on my right shoulder strap. The pony reg is secured on the right strap also.

My pony reg and my Primary 2nd Stage, both have a quick-disconnect on the hose ends. My full face mask also has a quick-disconnect at the 2nd Stage. This allows us to disconnect the line from the main tank, disconnect the pony reg hose (reg stays secured), then clip the pony hose onto the FFM. This maintains our environmental seal even during a gas change.

Oh, on topic; My pony (30 CF) is back mounted with an XS-Scuba pony bracket. I modified the mount so I can loosen the cam band and just lift it out, instead of rethreading the strap like it was designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sling it.

Check my avatar - huge DSLR rig with a slung pony. Not in the way at all.

Much easier to deploy, easier to handle on a boat, easier access to the valve, good training if you ever go tech.

IMHO, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom