• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How to be a better diver ?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Divingblueberry, Jul 15, 2019.

1. spectrum

spectrum Dive Bum Wannabe ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Make sure there will be scenarios, it's not a given.

2. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yes, absolutely take Rescue before ITT.

Divingblueberry likes this.
  3. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The non-diving course which I recommend the most (even if you are not a diver) is Gareth Lock's Human Factors in Diving: Human Factors Skills in Diving - Home

Skills wise, I cannot recommend enough a DIR gatekeeper course like UTD Essentials or GUE fundies (I took the latter). With a focus on fundamental skills and team based diving, there is the added benefit of improved awareness. While I don't consider myself a DIR diver as I dive solo, traditional sidemount, etc., fundies was the most invaluable skills course I've taken hands down. My biggest mistake was taking it relatively late (~380 dives). So wish I took it 300 dives earlier (hint, hint). :wink:

4. Divingblueberry

Divingblueberry Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99

Well, the answer to my question is quite clear, so I will postpone the ITT and go for the Rescue Course. I have no idea what to expect but I'll have a good chat with the dive shops in my area and make my choice.

Diving is fun indeed, and I assume it's even more fun when one understands what's going on and how to deal with the unexpected (to a certain degree). That was the idea behind the post and your comments and advice help a lot.

Thanks again.

drainaps and chillyinCanada like this.
  5. Lily Jones

Lily Jones Garibaldi

I don't find anything wrong with being overconfident. But, should be trained well and more experience.