How to change lenses in X-Vision Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lyonsce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think I know, but before I start I thought I would ask. I got prescription lenses for my new X-Vision LiquidSkin and need to change out the lenses. Does anyone have a link to the process or have the process documented? I want to be sure I don't miss anything..... Thanks,

Chuck

BE VERY CAREFUL!

I've broken a brandnew pair of X-vision fitting lenses.... :'-(

On each 'eye' on the mask, there is a plastic surround that is joined in the middle above the nose (see my photo left I have the clear/blue mask), its just clipped in with small grooves/teeth, if you have a clear one, you should be able to each them through the plastic.

You need a very thin scalpel or something similar and need to pull each of those grooves so they are unclipped, once all of them are unclipped you can lift out the surround and the lenses will drop out. the surround is very brittle and thats how I broke mine...

Regarding your previous message on the 8th of March about cleaning - I user my electric toothbrush and toothpaste - and its lovely and clear...

Chuck,

I would suggest you have the store from where the mask and lenses were purchased from do it for you. I'm sure you would be regretful should you accidentally break the mask in the process.

Having said that it is easy to do, one needs to be careful though. The lenses come with a little plastic tool, looks like a wedge. If you look carefully at the front of the mask around the perimeter you will see where there are little indentations or clips holding the inner portion of the mask frame and retaining ring together. Using the tool you wedge it between the frame and retaining ring at these points prying outward. This will one by one pop out a section of the retaining ring. Careful though as the retaining ring is the fragile piece. Once the retaining ring is completely removed, the lenses will drop out, put new ones in, retaining ring back into mask and make sure you have a good seal. You may have to work on the seal part, sometimes it can be a little challenging.

lyonsce:
I think I know, but before I start I thought I would ask. I got prescription lenses for my new X-Vision LiquidSkin and need to change out the lenses. Does anyone have a link to the process or have the process documented? I want to be sure I don't miss anything..... Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

Also put this in a PM reply: As Trickster states, be careful if you are not sure how.

There is none posted on the web site, it is the same as with any X-Vision mask. While it is not difficult to do, we reccomend having the dealer do it or someone who knows how. We have had some cracked frames, torn skirts or leaking masks due to some trying to change when they were not familiar.

Regards,

Phil

Thanks to all who posted. I have changed the lenses and everything is fine, it was a little tricky, but not too hard to do.

Chuck

Zak OHara:
Chuck,

I would suggest you have the store from where the mask and lenses were purchased from do it for you. I'm sure you would be regretful should you accidentally break the mask in the process.

Having said that it is easy to do, one needs to be careful though. The lenses come with a little plastic tool, looks like a wedge. If you look carefully at the front of the mask around the perimeter you will see where there are little indentations or clips holding the inner portion of the mask frame and retaining ring together. Using the tool you wedge it between the frame and retaining ring at these points prying outward. This will one by one pop out a section of the retaining ring. Careful though as the retaining ring is the fragile piece. Once the retaining ring is completely removed, the lenses will drop out, put new ones in, retaining ring back into mask and make sure you have a good seal. You may have to work on the seal part, sometimes it can be a little challenging.
Related to this thread, is there any way to obtain a new plastic retaining part? Mine was cracked -- I don't know how, I did not install the corrective lenses myself, but the mask is otherwise fine.
Seth Warren

Seth, contact a Mares dealer and request they call Scott at tech service in Baltimore. This piece is not a normal stocking part but I'm confident Scott will be able to come up with one.

Back
Top Bottom