How To Choose A PADI IDC ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my .02. When I was looking for an IDC, I wanted to go to Utila or some exotic location. Due to scheduling, costs, etc., I ended up doing my IDC closer to home. After the IDC and IE, I was glad that I didn't spend the money to travel to some really nice location for my IDC. It may just be me and the way I work/study, but we had class ALL day and I studied, wrote and practiced my presentation skills until late at night along with the rest of my classmates. I would not have had time to enjoy my trip. We didn't have time for pleasure dives at all. Now the diving for the course would have been much more enjoyable in Utila compared to the cold, mirky water we used for IDC/IE in Texas.

My wife and I celebrated my successful IE by going to Roatan at a later date. All pleasure, no pressure or studying. I don't know how the courses progress in other places and there may be plenty of time to pleasure dive in those locations but it might be something to check into before you sign up and take the wife along to go diving alone.

Maybe the course directors will send you or post a typical week's schedule.

My IDC schedule is 10-11 days starting at 9am finishing between 2.30 and 4pm, so there is lots of time to enjoy the island.

Following the IDC the MSDT training gives lots of opportunities to dive dive dive on Roatan's stunning reefs whether you love deep or shallow Roatan has it all!

Our IDC's are all day... and depending on how well prepared you are... into the evenings.
It's full on hard work.

HOWEVER if you have a partner, they can enjoy the diving... if they dive.... or the beautiful beaches, excursions or Safaris.... while you enjoy intense top class teaching.

Buccaneer Diving - 5 Star PADI IDC Centre, Kenya, Zanzibar

Padi Instructor Development Course (IDC) starts every month. If you like to chance your life style, if you like the have the ocean as your office this is the way to go.
Oceans 5 is a Padi 5 star Instructor Development (IDC) dive resort located on Gili Air. Gili Air is part of the famous Gili Islands, North West Lombok. The diving around the islands offers diving for everyone. If you like big fish (sharks, bumpheads, trevallies, etc), small stuff (nudis, seahorses, pipefish) or turtles.
It is a perfect place to start your IDC. The island is not that busy as Bali or Gili Trawangan, but has enough bars and restaurants to have in the evening a nice drink or dinner.
Oceans 5 dive resort conducts every month IDCs. The Instructor Development Course (IDC) is a 10-12 day program that enables Divemasters and leaders from other training organizations to achieve their dream of teaching scuba diving using the PADI system. The IE will be held on the Gili Islands.
During the IDC you will use the latest teaching techniques, the complete system of PADI support materials, and will be continuously assessed on your teaching and presentation skills.
PADI Course Director Camille Lemmens, Padi Course Director Sander Buis and our team of IDC Staff Instructors are committed to your success at the Instructor examination (IE). They also want to make sure that you are comfortable with teaching afterwards. The Instructor program at Oceans 5 Dive Resort exceeds the minimum required by PADI in terms of time and number of presentations you will prepare.
The program is taught in a dedicated classroom, the confined water sessions are held in a 25 meter swimming pool and the open water sessions are only 5 minutes away from the dive shop. Our facilities will enable you to study and prepare in a relaxed and chilled atmosphere. Gili Air is so relaxed because there are no motorbikes, no cars and no dogs on the island.
Before the IDC there is an IDC preparation. Normally this takes 3-4 days, but it is no problem if you come earlier. During these days your diving skills and dive theory will be brushed. Also after the IDC it is possible to assist instructors on courses so you will get the feeling how a course will be conducted.
Maximum of students of an IDC is 8 candidates. The average of 2012 was 4-5 students each IDC. Oceans 5 dive resort has a 100% passing rate of the IE.
All the candidates of Oceans 5 dive resort found a job in the dive industry. Mostly they found a job on the Gili Islands, not long after they passed their IE.
After the IE there is a possibility to do a prep MSDT program. Oceans 5 offers a lot of instructor specialties, but the most popular ones are Nitrox, Deep, Digital Underwater Photography, Oxygen Provider, Night, and Sidemounting. But there are others you can choose of. It depends about how many dives you have to do for each specialty yo choose how long the prep MSDT takes.
Why is Oceans 5 dive resort different than all the other IDC centers?

• Oceans 5 dive resort is the only dive centre in the Gili Islands that has 2 course directors.
  • Oceans 5 dive resort is well aware of hisenvironment.
  • Oceans 5 dive resort organizes every week reef and beach clean ups in the harbor of Gili Air.
  • Oceans 5 dive resort has a turtle nursery for injured turtles. With an In -The-House marine biologist Oceans 5 likes to bring some knowledge to the IDC candidates.
  • Oceans 5 dive resort offers during the IDC a free marine biology class.
  • Oceans 5dive resort is also the only Padi dive center in Asia that is awarded with the Padi Accessibility Award, that means that Oceans 5 can teach and has the possibilities to teach or guide disabled divers.

I can only speak from personal experience but I loved my course with Buccaneer Diving - 5 Star PADI IDC Centre, Kenya, Zanzibar.
I did it in Mombasa Kenya.
The standards were high... the work was hard but fun.
Bruce Phillips is the CD, he is also an examiner.

The place to do it was great... at Voyager Beach Hotel... where all you need, pool, ocean and classroom were all close together.

I've staffed a few there since and can highly recommend it.

There is a new option for your PADI IDC.

PADI have just confirmed they will start hosting IE on the stunning island of Koh Lipe, on the Andaman coast in South West Thailand. Conducted by platinum course director Guy Corcellis. Koh Lipe is an idylic island, laid back, surrounded by tranquil clear waters. The next IDC starts on March 4th 2016.

Check www.divemasterthailand.net

Or

www.scubadivekohlipe.com for more details.

There is a new option for your PADI IDC.

PADI have just confirmed they will start hosting IE on the stunning island of Koh Lipe, on the Andaman coast in South West Thailand. Conducted by platinum course director Guy Corcellis. Koh Lipe is an idylic island, laid back, surrounded by tranquil clear waters. The next IDC starts on March 4th 2016.

Check www.divemasterthailand.net

Or

www.scubadivekohlipe.com for more details.

With any luck you'll become part of the community here and share information that's valuable to the SB membership as an active participant.

Unfortunately, however, based on your user profile it looks like you prefer to swing by SB every three-to-four years, share a post about your latest IDC training venture, and then vanish for another three or four years.

Looking forward to seeing you again before 2020!

:)

With any luck you'll become part of the community here and share information that's valuable to the SB membership as an active participant.

Unfortunately, however, based on your user profile it looks like you prefer to swing by SB every three-to-four years, share a post about your latest IDC training venture, and then vanish for another three or four years.

Looking forward to seeing you again before 2020!

:)

Hi RJP.
Yes probably guilty as charged.
I do try and use the internet to share some of my diving expetience, but there are a lot of forums out there, and yes, when I have something to promote, I do use the internet for that. Sorry if this causes you some offence. The original post, although old was enquiring about the possibility of IDC and IE in South.East Asia, and with PADI offering IEs in this lovely new spot I thought my post was relevant, for other people with the same inquirey. Lots of other IDCs had already posted promotional posts.
Like I say sorry if I cased any offence to your more regular members. I am just another dive shop manager trying to earn a living. What sort of thing would the regular Scuba Board appreciate. I sm not a take take kind of guy and am happy to share my fairly extensive diving knowledge with the SB community.

Regards

Ed.
Manager DJL Kih Lipe
PADI MI
BSAC AI
DIVER coxn instructor and examiner
TDI full cave advanced wreck extended range tech diver.

Mad keen scuba nut for 14 years.

Reactions: RJP

Back
Top Bottom