How to choose...reg, wing, primary light, reels etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khat_dive

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi folks,

I am a completely new writing member, but I have been around reading quite a bit...HI @ all :wink:
Whatever I write here, it's all my personal thinking, personal information and I don't mean to start another "hate XYZ" thread. Everyone cool with that? Fine! :)

Topic today:
Cave diving, cavern guiding, sidemount and backmount

To me:
I am a full cave diver with TDI, doing cave dives whenever I can with friends, for work I do cave and cavern guiding. Mostly I am using sidemount but sometimes the cave is easier accessible on double backmount.
I have my own xDeep Project double setup (BPW) and Apeks WSX25 sidemount harness (looking for better options) and diving so far regulators from the shop (SP, Apeks) as well as using a Bigblue handheld primary light (beam and spot).
I have decided a while ago I only want to buy quality gear to not buy 5 times. BUT I have to say I don't poop money as I work in Mexico (Cenotes etc) and don't earn 4k$ a month :-/ I don't want to work in an office and earn more either. I am happy with that but saving takes time.

Questions:
I have access to a xDeep 2.0 classic wing, I will try that, but how are your opinions about the tec vs rec?
I want one which allows me to take 2 extra tanks. I am not the tallest = 178cm 70kg. I have looked into the Razor 2.5 but it's not an option right now for me.
I would be happy about any input, I have read myself a lot in so far but somehow I still miss something to decide...

Regulators... I mostly do sidemount but again, sometimes double backmount, so I want first stages which are somehow suitable for both (no Tek3's).
For single backmount I use already Apeks DST's and XTX50/40's and I am happy with those. I have tried Scubapro MK25evo with s600, G260 and a700 and somewhat me personally, I prefer Apeks.
Now it seems easy to go for more DST's and XTX50's, yes. Tho, I had some MTX-R regs in my hand and test dived them too and I must say they are sweet. And freaking sexy looking. But ugly expansive. Well, 200$ more than the XTX setup.
Any info on that topic? I read both are needing the same service kits, I can service them here no problem. Is the MTX-R first stage different in servicing compared to the DST? Can't much as they need the same stuff, right?
I want there too, buy stuff I could use for longer and eventually cold, **** weather, whatever resistant, as they are both.

Primary lights...probably my biggest issue.
I dove the 8000 lumen beam, 1200 lumen spot handheld light from Bigblue, something in the name with 8000, I have been diving with Swedish brand Nanight, canister light, 4000 lumen and some cheaper ****** lights.
I read a lot about Light monkey and UWLD which are a bit out of my price region. They are good but not sure how easy to service here? Opinions?
Then some friends recommend polish brand Gralmarine. Not much cheaper, very good quality too. Same questions, servicing and opinion?
Bigblue? Halcyon Fokus is out of range for me so far. I have tried it actually too.
Any more options? I like the option to have a beam AND the spot. I like handheld but that's defo no must!
Shot me up!

Reels...
I have looked up Lightmonkey, Halcyon, DIRzone, and and and... Quality seems to vary A LOT!
Your opinions?

I know, those are a lot of questions (1) and they are partially if not all very personal. Sorry. But somehow I need some new thoughts on all of it . Other than my own :D

Thanks guys and girls!

khat_dive

*spelling mistakes are wanted.

Go for whatever comes up at a good price within the local community.

At the end of the day there are few truly poor quality designs out there for cave gear and its hard to go wrong with any of the popular brands. Ideally go for those who spend little on marketing and more on R&D. That shows up with a loyal fan base and word of mouth recommendations rather than the ones constantly spending tons on self promotion.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom