• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How to choose the right torch

Discussion in 'Lights' started by Sbiriguda, Sep 4, 2019.

1. D_Fresh

D_Fresh ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Yeah, I find the citronella fuel just doesn't work too well underwater...... :rofl3:

Andrew Dawson likes this.
  2. lowwall

lowwall Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Just a reminder that the Volador 1000 has the same specs as the D26 1100 except a tail switch and is $50 at amazon including a battery and charger and one or two day shipping. There are other versions from various sellers on Amazon as well as from Mako and DGX for around the same price. No need to deal with shipping to China if there are issues.

Skoock and Andrew Dawson like this.
  3. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light ScubaBoard Supporter

I'm not saying they are the same brightness. I do think the 1600 is a little brighter. If it had the same on/off switch as the 1100, I would always take the 1600. I'm just saying the difference is small, in practical terms, and definitely not enough (to ME) to make up for turning on by accident all the time.

The same light output specs, maybe. But, it only takes 1 x 18650 battery. The D26 takes a 26650. It's the difference between something like 3300mAh and 5500mAh. I would take the extra burn time that you get from a 26650 battery every time (for a primary light).

The DGX 600 Button is directly comparable to that Volador, and only $9 more.

DGX 600 BUTTON Handheld Light

I would pay the extra to buy it from DGX simply because you still get free shipping and the DGX Return Policy is lifetime. If you buy the DGX light and it EVER craps out, you could return it for full price credit and buy another one.

Return & Refund

4. lowwall

lowwall Manta Ray

Good point. I missed the battery difference.

For my purposes, the 18650 gives enough burn time so I'll take the other advantages of lower price, smaller size and US distribution.

Re, the Volador vs. DGX button versions. I own both. I prefer the DGX button over the Volador tail switch for handheld use. It also clips on a little more nicely because the lanyard hole is centered on the tail.

5. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Great info guys!! Thanks!!

Now, I just need a time machine to go back and make different choices...or...just get a second job :wink:

D_Fresh likes this.