How to clean and refresh a stinky wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saloooh91

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone

So I bought my wetsuit about a week ago and used it for the past 5 days in Sharm El Sheikh Egypt Red Sea.

The suit did it's excellent job. However soon as I finished the dives and decided to go home. I took the wetsuit out from the bag and hung it in the bathroom and not the sun. I washed it with water and that's it. I didn't put any cleaners or shampoo and it still stinks. So what is the correct way to clean and refresh it ?

I know I don't need to dry it in the sun.

A cleaner I have used in the past that is strange but has not harmed my wetsuits is fabuloso - the purple kind. Heck of a lot cheaper than any wetsuit-specialty product and I know some commercial op's use it. I'd leave the wetsuit soaking for at least a few hours. I've used a Rubbermaid bin or bathtub to mix the water and Fabuloso and do the soaking.

Fabulous works. Simple Green does too. I love both smells.

Baby shampoo wash. Then Sink the Stink. Still there? Dilute Listerine Cool Mint soak. Especially the booties. I let it sit in thoses quite a while. I have also found a few drops of Eucalyptus oil in each boot to store leaves the whole closet smelling wonderful.

And once you get everything above done, put it away in a container with a box of Irish Spring - leave it in the cardboard just remove the cellophane, maybe punch a couple holes. That way it stays fresh smelling until you use it the next time.

If your booties still reek, Irish Spring box for each of them :)

I run my suits, boots, hoods, gloves and vest through my front load washer on gentle/delicate cycle with half the detergent for a full load, then hang and air dry. No stink and suits last a long time ( my 7mm is 6 years old and is like new).

I dunk it in a clean trash can filled with water and baby shampoo. For more thorough cleanings I run it through the washing machine as above.

The smell is from bacteria. I use a disinfectant called Dettol. Soak the wet suit and booties in a bath of it. I use about 1/2 to one cup Dettol to a half a bathtub of water. Soak for 10 min then hang to dry. Dont rinse. Then turn the wetsuit inside out and dry. Job done.

For the booties I soak then hang upside down to dry in an airy place. Same thing, all clean and no stink smell.

I use and like a $10/gallon cleaner called Odoban. It's sold at Home Depot in a few scents, eucalyptus, lavendar, and citrus, and works well to clean up all sorts of messes around the house. It was being used by a dive shop where I worked, and it doesn't seem to damage the gear, been using it for 6 years.

Works great to get cat pee smell out of stuff as well! Carpets, and drysuits...don't ask

I go through about 2 gallons a year, a little goes a long way, and I use it for everything around the house.

I just throw mine in the pool with a weight belt for an hour, then hang it up to dry. 3ppm Chlorine kills the bacteria. No smell ever

Back
Top Bottom