How to clean and refresh a stinky wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use Dettol in a large bucket filled with water to rinse our school's wetsuits (including boots and hoods) with no issues with odor in the school's westsuits even with heavy use. We hang the suits to dry in a room with large windows away from direct sunlight. Chlorine (in swimming pool water) and Sun light are the worst enemies for scuba equipment.

Not peeing in your wetsuit helps too :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist!

Hahaha, that is easier said than done, it is an involuntary reaction from the reduction of pressure in the legs and equalization of pressure across your whole body. On land blood pools in the legs, once underwater that changes and your body begins to offload h2o, this is why you have the urge to pee, which then makes you thirsty once you get out if the water, in addition to the breathing of dry air.

What do you suppose it means when a person stops having that reaction when they dive? :) Perhaps I should ask this under Dive Medicine subforum. Yes, I'm well hydrated and though I'm very aware that it's been a significant departure from the norm for me, it's also difficult not to be pleased that I've not sullied my suit that has around 60 dives on it.

Toss it in the washing machine with some normal detergent and then hang dry.

There is nothing special about a wetsuit.

What do you suppose it means when a person stops having that reaction when they dive? :) Perhaps I should ask this under Dive Medicine subforum. Yes, I'm well hydrated and though I'm very aware that it's been a significant departure from the norm for me, it's also difficult not to be pleased that I've not sullied my suit that has around 60 dives on it.
There two different stimulae that makes us have the urge, the first is cold water response, the second is the pressure changes. Restricting water prior to diving is bad as it increases the chance of DCS. If you no longer get the urge, I would look into the possible causes as these are involuntary responses. There could be an underlying medical condition or possibly some medications can suppress the response. I'm no doctor, but prudence says to have yourself checked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom