How to clean my rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keungfai

New
Reaction score
Received my first BC from DSS recently. Thanks Tobin for his recommendations and fast email replies.

I have one more question that how should I clean my rig after diving?

Tobin may chime in, but I take the wing off the plate, dunk the plate and harness in fresh water. Then I dunk the wing (or hose it off). Finally, I put a bunch of fresh water in the wing (you can use the hose adapter Tobin sells to do this, or squirt water in through the inflator. Tobin doesn't recommend doing what I do, which is to take the cover off the dump valve, because you can lose the hardware inside the wing that way) and rinse the bladder, and exhaust that water through the inflator (both orifices). If I'm soaking other stuff, I'll soak the end of the inflator, to make sure I don't get any salt crystals in it. It takes a lot longer to write about than it does to do :)

Received my first BC from DSS recently. Thanks Tobin for his recommendations and fast email replies.

I have one more question that how should I clean my rig after diving?

Basicaly what TS&M said. Dunk every thing in fresh water, and rinse the inside of the wing with some fresh water.

The inflator flusher we offer is specifically used to flush the internals of the "add valve" in the poser inflator. To get rinse water into the bladder just aim your garden hose into the oral inflate mouth piece and hold the button down. You do not need to fill up the wing with water, just a couple quarts is enough.

Slosh the water around and blow it out the OPV.

I DO NOT recommend any dis assembly of the wing, as this can lead to unnecessary grief. It's a simple matter to blow the water out the OPV.

I also recommend removing your knife from the sheath to allow it to dry. A little silicone grease or spray will extend the life of your knife.

Tobin

If I do not remove the OPV, would it be difficult to dry the inside of bladder after washing?

For the silicone grease, is it the same as the one use for o-rings?

Thanks

If you drain the bladder well and then inflate it, it seems to dry pretty well.

If I do not remove the OPV, would it be difficult to dry the inside of bladder after washing?

I don't remove the OPV & haven't noticed any problems. I do leave the wing partially inflated between dives. I try to keep the time between dives to a minimum, but that has nothing to do with wing maintenance. :)

Thanks

It's just to extend the life of what is essentially a broken, mild steel steak knife. I smear mine with a drop of marineguard eco lube once month. It's a lanolin base & the best thing I'v found for the marine environment.

Thanks

Just blow out the water with the OPV as the low point, no need to have the inside of the bladder "bone dry"

It's worthwhile to understand that no all BC's (or wings) use the same type of fittings. Many BC's use a "one piece" welded fitting that allows removing the OPV or fill hose without any risk of losing parts or reassembling incorrectly.

Most wings (and some BC's) use a different style of "bulkhead fitting" that can be result in problems if the user removes the OPV or fill hose.

There is no reason to remove the OPV or fill hose, your wing can be easily cleaned and adequately dried without removing either.

Grease? Pretty much anything that displaces moisture works. Vaseline even.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom