How to clear lens after surfacing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some good suggestions.
  • I looked at the label for rain-x - there is a warning "Do not use on plastics unless explicitly approved by the plastic manufacturer." While the Gopro housing is likely polycarbonate - thats still close to plastics is it not?
  • The label on Lemon Pledge scares me too It says - "Do not use on floors". My gopro housing is I'm sure, much more delicate than a floor. Or is that because it makes the floor slippery?
  • About mask defog - do we apply on the boat before entering the water? Wont 45 mins of diving remove its utility? Especially when we are applying it to the exterior?

So I never thought of this before although I spit into my mask often - what makes saliva so good at cleaning masks? And therefore useful in this case - technically speaking? How about a mini toothpaste tube in the BCD pocket then rubbed in on surfacing?
Thanks
P

Last edited:
I have seen photographer friends licking their dome ports religiously in preparation to diving. The first time I saw that I was quite surprised, but it sounded really reasonnable after she explained that it to me.

I have seen photographer friends licking their dome ports religiously in preparation to diving. The first time I saw that I was quite surprised, but it sounded really reasonnable after she explained that it to me.
I have heard that dome ports taste like chicken.

I have heard that dome ports taste like chicken.

I haven't tried myself (yet). I feel I have a some more to learn and try before I teach my camera how to scuba dive too :p.
But when I'll try, I'll make sure to report about it here :wink:

I apply rain-x to the housing lens. Works like a charm. I have not had that issue since. :)

Glad it's ok for you.

To the various people reading this please note:

WARNING: rain x will destroy certain housing materials, google is full of horror stories.

Some good suggestions.
  • I looked at the label for rain-x - there is a warning "Do not use on plastics unless explicitly approved by the plastic manufacturer." While the Gopro housing is likely polycarbonate - thats still close to plastics is it not?
Thanks
P

I haven't had an issue with just applying it to the lens. I have done it only a few times. Each application lasts for a long time. It works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom