How to clear lens after surfacing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good clarification. My warning is for various housings not including the original GoPro.

That makes sense. I agree caution should be exercised for non-GoPro lenses and it's best to contact the manufacturer directly to be sure.

I'm not sure if anything has changed with the 5 but here's some info directly from GoPro support about it being okay and looks like manual also recommended (screen shot in post).

Solved: Is it safe to use rain-x on housing? - GOPRO SUPPORT HUB
Thanks. I guess we can avoid applying it in the cracks and around the hinges where the rubber lining is present and only put it in front of the lens area of the housing.

Rain-x appears to be only shipped by ground - will it be a problem if I had a little 50ml bottle in my gopro case with cabin baggage? Or Check-in? Or is it something I only need to apply once or twice a year then forget?

PS: if we apply inside the housing will it prevent fogging as well?

P

Thanks. I guess we can avoid applying it in the cracks and around the hinges where the rubber lining is present and only put it in front of the lens area of the housing.

Rain-x appears to be only shipped by ground - will it be a problem if I had a little 50ml bottle in my gopro case with cabin baggage? Or Check-in? Or is it something I only need to apply once or twice a year then forget?

PS: if we apply inside the housing will it prevent fogging as well?

P

Hi,

You won't need to apply it for a while once you apply it. It will be more than enough to last you a trip, or maybe even a few. I have had my GoPro for a few years (the same one) and I have maybe only applied it once a year. It lasts a really long time. I'm not sure if you have ever applied it to your windshield on your car but that also lasts a while. You shouldn't have to bring any with you. To make sure I only have it on the lens, I spray it to a paper towel then apply it directly to the lens that way to ensure I don't get it on anything else. I then take a clean paper towel and rub it through until it's clear.

I haven't tried anything on the inside of the housing. I don't usually have a fog issue - I ensure that when I open the housing, I am in an air-conditioned environment. Sometimes, that is unavoidable on a day boat but I try to open and close it quickly then dunk it in the tank of water to prevent fogging from even happening.

I hope this helps! :)

I've been using Rain-X for years on three different GoPro's without issue. I'm only applying it to the lens of the dive housing, not the entire housing body.

In my case, I'm using the Rain-X wipes. Usually one application is all I need for a week long trip. The wipes are nice because you can just throw a couple in your bag and not have to worry about silly restrictions on liquids on-board aircraft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom