How to close a drysuit with a carabiner and a car door

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It seems windsurfers in the Italian lakes have a trick to close drysuits without the help of anybody, provided if they don't have a buddy nobody is crazy enough to go to the lake in full winter at 7.00 AM...

foto-copia-2.jpg

Before I realized I hated cold water diving I used this tool for opening and closing the back zipper. I can't imagine having to wait until getting to your car in order to open the suit.

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 199
That'a a major improvement...
Is it made with a bent metal pipe?

It is designed for attaching to a pet collar. Not sure exactly how it really works for is original design. When I was in my 20-30's my thing was to use non-diving gear to improve my diving gear. I saw that in a pet store and the light bulb went on.
Still have it. A bit rusted but the lever still opens n closes the clip.

I am struggling to find a tool of the same kind but I really didn't find any...also because I don't know how you would call this object in English and I didn't find anything by Googling its image
I am jealous of that tool now I really would like to get one
If any anybody can find a similar one for sale or at least the exact name of this sort of object I would be very grateful...

Something like this?

(I've been looking at leashes with a view towards my reef hook)

Screenshot_20190918-033650_Samsung Internet.jpg

You're right that might work
Still, it you can't operate the carabiner with a lever like in the tool posted by @Ana . Perhaps one would not really need it, but that's pure genius

Would it be that difficult to make your own?

Before I got a front zip suit, I regularly closed and opened by suit using a clip line on the "roll bar" on the back of my RHIB. Opening is simple, but you need to be careful about getting your undies caught while zipping up. My suit was not tight, so lots of room, but otherwise there's a real risk of damaging the zipper.

Having said this, front zip is WAY easier. ;-)

It seems windsurfers in the Italian lakes have a trick to close drysuits without the help of anybody, provided if they don't have a buddy nobody is crazy enough to go to the lake in full winter at 7.00 AM...

View attachment 540564

SB...

Some variation of this suit closure method has been in use for a long time...

I have a DIY braided nylon pull cord with a wooden ''T'' handle...that I made up years ago...

You have to be very careful using this method and completely know and understand the characteristics of your suit/under-garment system...

If you catch the zipper in the suits ''under-flap''...or get it caught in your undergarment...your zipper is toast...especially if it's a brass zipper...

The Scuba-Pro Ever-Dry Four is notorious for the zipper getting caught in the suits under-flap...the condition is so prevalent that Scuba-Pro goes as far as to include a disclaimer note in the suits packaging that clearly states the zipper is prone to getting caught in the suits neoprene under-flap...and if it does...the zipper will immediately be rendered useless...to exercise care and caution...and if the zipper is damaged from getting caught...Scuba-Pro will not cover it...

The best way to avoid this is to either have your partner zip you up...advising them to be careful that the zipper does not get snagged...or buy a self donning front zipper suit...

There is significant difference in ''thinking'' you've done something right...and ''knowing'' you've done something right...DIR...

Best...

W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom