Question How to convert to QC6...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To go on a little tangent, is it wise to be switching QDs for cylinder changes underwater? I figure the BOV is primarily there for abundant sanity breaths without needing an immediate mouthpiece switch, rather than needing to be used for an entire OC bailout ascent. BOV can be QD plugged to the 'deep' mix prior to entry/descent, and left that way. [Hypoxic gas management adds a closed valve re-opening step at minimum op depth--descent check.]

If a different, more full or more optimal gas is subsequently needed (such as a deco gas on OC bailout) then why not just a normal switch procedure to that cylinder's regulator? Is juggling QDs or playing with switchblocks going to be any safer than an ordinary gas switch?

I am aware some people / instructors / agencies like to gratuitously trade cylinders a bunch of times during courses, where yes I could see one wanting the smoothest and most DESO solution for this repetitive exercise.
Why not, the gas switch procedure is the same, but instead of putting the reg in your mouth, you plug in the QD. You still have a donatable regulator. You don't have to deal with a floating loop in your face. It is much easier to manage a bailed out exit with the loop in your mouth.

To go on a little tangent, is it wise to be switching QDs for cylinder changes underwater? I figure the BOV is primarily there for abundant sanity breaths without needing an immediate mouthpiece switch, rather than needing to be used for an entire OC bailout ascent. BOV can be QD plugged to the 'deep' mix prior to entry/descent, and left that way. [Hypoxic gas management adds a closed valve re-opening step at minimum op depth--descent check.]

If a different, more full or more optimal gas is subsequently needed (such as a deco gas on OC bailout) then why not just a normal switch procedure to that cylinder's regulator? Is juggling QDs or playing with switchblocks going to be any safer than an ordinary gas switch?

I am aware some people / instructors / agencies like to gratuitously trade cylinders a bunch of times during courses, where yes I could see one wanting the smoothest and most DESO solution for this repetitive exercise.
For long range cave diving you want to keep the loop in your mouth. For deco it may not be so important to comfort but if you're on the trigger you definitely want to stay on the loop whenever you can. Depending on the failure it also opens you up to SCR which is convenient

You need a male female stem for the unit side, and a female male for your bailout.
Dive Rite and Fathom both sell the ends you need to thread directly onto your hoses.
I just reread this and realized I typed that backwards.
Males stems go on your bailout regulators. Female goes on your unit.
Sorry about that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom