How to display fossils?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LMoore

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok this may have been visited before but how do you guys display your finds? I am getting a small collection now and the wife is tired of them sitting on top of book shelf. Lets see some pics of tooth and fossil displays.:D

Ps this is my first post I just moved to Florida about 2 hrs north of Venice, I was there yesterday for first shore dive, dove just past dog beach, vis wasnt that great I only found a couple dozen little ones, I dont know if I went far enough out I went just past the pier about 15-20 feet with lots of big rocks around. It was a fun dive but still need my first big Meg

I use a few different methods. Most of them go in clear glass containers on shelves. Some are in blankets on which shells, dive gear, and various other items are displayed. I have a stand for my best meg. Most of the rest of my megs are in a candy dish.

I've made shadow boxes for my father and for my grandson. With a brand new grand daughter, a new shadow box will be making an appearance soon.

Attachments

• Fossils.jpg
    Fossils.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 581
  • Fossils 1.jpg
    Fossils 1.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 511
  • Fossils 2.jpg
    Fossils 2.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 481
  • Fossils mine and Nancy's.jpg
    Fossils mine and Nancy's.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 665
  • Fossils stage left.jpg
    Fossils stage left.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 455
  • Fossils stage right.jpg
    Fossils stage right.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 413
  • Fossils tiny and misc.jpg
    Fossils tiny and misc.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 461
Thanks Walter that is totally cool, you have some great displays. I have some old dive gear I also wanted to do something with.

Nancy made this with teeth she found and gave it to me for Valentine's Day. The dorsal fin is a big Mako. The lateral line is made from Sand Tigers.

Attachments

• 100_3138.jpg
    100_3138.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 998
Wow Walter, nice displays! The shark that was made for you is super creative/cool too!

I know its hard to compete with Walter but I am sure there are some of you with other types of displays-- Lets see em

Also Walter how did you mount that big meg, and how do you mount them in a shadowbox

Thanks for sharing

The big meg is mounted on a stand I bought at Sea Pleasures and Treasures on Venice Ave. It has two rubber tipped bolts that tighten to hold it in place.

I glue teeth in a shadow box with a glue gun. I usually put shells in the shadow boxes along with teeth. I glue cotton balls into the shells, then I glue the shells with their cotton balls into the box.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom