how to dive with non-DIR divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for diving with non-DIR divers, well if I followed that rule in the strictest sense I would never be able to dive on the island. I find that if I can explain why I do what I do and then dive and have fun that eventually they will come to see the light (or darkside ) and I make great friends!!

P.S. Welcome back JeffG.

Onfloat has the DIR "I don't preach but you are free to admire my diving" down.
(So...are you saying if you had more DIR divers, you would dump me in a second? lol...thought so.) Oh..now I am hurt.

TSandm told me she won't dive with me either...but she gave me her husband Peter. :D

The rumor mill has it DiverDennis is dabbling in the dark side. I think his plan is to argue the other side and then show up somewhere at a DIR cult dive, all black and stealth and wow everyone with his diving.

yangnome:
Let me know if you have any luck with that...
hmm... I don't think I could get money and equipment together that soon. I recently depleted my "wife-doesn't-know-about-it" funds and need some time to build them back up, then sneak in gear. Might be able to though, we'll have to see.

yangnome:
hmm... I don't think I could get money and equipment together that soon. I recently depleted my "wife-doesn't-know-about-it" funds and need some time to build them back up, then sneak in gear. Might be able to though, we'll have to see.

Oh, you don't have to tell me. I wanted to do Fundies in doubles so I just got myself set up with new tanks, regs, and bp/w. I went through the "wife-doesn't-know about-it" funds, the "Paypal-proceeds-from spare-cycling-scuba-etc-sale-funds" and the "while-the-cat's-away-the-mouse-will-play" funds (she's been on business travel this week). I'm gonna hear about it for sure come Tueday :( But's it's sooooo worth it! :eyebrow:

I'm in teh same boat. I've got a CF-200 drysuit that I have to intercept from UPS sometime over the next week or so before she sees it. Then I have to find some funds to take the DS course without her knowing about it. Before fundies, I'd need to get a BP, tanks and another reg and a canister light...that'll take some discretionary budgeting that I doubt I'd be able ot get done before June. tehn again, my wife and daughter are going out of country for a month in June, so maybe I can find a way to pull it off.

yangnome:
I'm in teh same boat. I've got a CF-200 drysuit that I have to intercept from UPS sometime over the next week or so before she sees it. Then I have to find some funds to take the DS course without her knowing about it. Before fundies, I'd need to get a BP, tanks and another reg and a canister light...that'll take some discretionary budgeting that I doubt I'd be able ot get done before June. tehn again, my wife and daughter are going out of country for a month in June, so maybe I can find a way to pull it off.

Oh yeah, the canister light.... that's going to take some additional creative financing :eyebrow:

then there's the x-scooter :11:

I might be able to talk my wife into helping me buy a doubles setup. Although, I'm not really ready for them yet. She stated one time that if the doubles ("those two tanks setup things") would help me out under water, she might buy it. I had an OOG experience once and she didn't like that. So, after I sneak my BP/W from DSS into my dive closet, I may ask her about it. :) (Then save up for fundies next year.)

Michael

yangnome:
Then I have to find some funds to take the DS course without her knowing about it.
If you do not have any friends that are VERY experienced in DS diving that can you help you out, take the course. The only thing the course does is give you a card that allows you to rent a DS.

For me, there is no such thing as a rental DS. They don't make them that fit me.

I have to admitt i dont have the piece of plastic that says I can dive with a DS, since i never officially took the course..
However, my first dives with it was with an instructor anyways. Ok, there is a few things you need to be aware of while diving a drysuit, but its not really that hard..

Tigerman:
And partly as a result of where we normally dive..

Very good point Tigerman. Diving here in Asia is almost all rec diving, warm water high vis diving. We rarely see DIR divers at the resorts here. Cold water diving is a lot harder and more complicated IMO.

TSandM:
This charge of elitism gets made with some frequency, and you know what? There's some truth to it.

The OP liked what he saw in his class, and he wants to dive with people who dive that way, in part perhaps because he wants to model them and reinforce the procedures and protocols he was taught, and in part because it's fun.

I still dive with non-DIR people, especially new divers, but not very often. After a while, it's just so much easier and so much more fun to dive with peoplewho dive the same way you do, and I really defy anybody, DIR or not, to argue with that statement.

We all learn to approach the underwater world differently, partly as a result of training and partly as a result of temperament and experience. We sort ourselves into compatible groups and we go diving. There's nothing wrong with that!

That is a good point Lynne. I like diving with other photographers because more often than not we are "Same Ocean" divers, we can all do our own thing. So in a way, the elitism can be attributed to any type of diving you might like to do. I dive in buddy groups at times but I prefer to dive solo.

Having said that, I would never say that solo divers prefer not to dive with other divers or presume DIR divers prefer not to dive with non-DIR divers. I would never make a presumption for any other divers, let alone an entire style as the OP did. He also related that statement to safety. I've read here in many other threads that DIR divers like to dive with non-DIR divers. I can only speak for myself. That was my point.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom