How to don a condom catheter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Nope, but you could tell your GF you need to as an excuse for her to help lol
2. Dive site
3. There are sample packs online but the ones i buy come with a cardboard template with different sized half circles to match yourself up to.
4. Yes, but what term wouldn’t be...

other tricks ive learned;
trim down the tip of the cath just a bit before attaching the plumbing, so it is less likely to kink.
Unroll the catheter about 2 rolls and apply baby powder then roll it back up. THEN apply it to yourself and the shaft will adhere but your head will thank you.

So... From the nurse

Here is a video. Sound in Norwegian, but the animated video should give the gist of it.
1. No, do not put it on erect.
In fact, if you are "uncut", make sure you pull the skin FORWARDS.
3. Get a sample pack from a producer. They usually send them out for free. Go down if you are between sizes. This is not the instance where you want to keep "bragging rights"

Make sure you manscape before you put it on!
Keep some "room" from the opening end of the condom cath to glans. This makes sure everything flows freely. However, not too much. You don't want to glue the the cath together.

When you buddy forgets his and ask for one of your, you hand him the XXXL size. :eek:

I'll just ask if he wants the camo blue or the red She-P. However... as a proper buddy... I do keep an "intermediate" in my save a dive kit. :D:D

Having worked in a dive shop, don't vanity size...

1. Should a condom catheter be donned while erect?
  2. Is it customary to don the condom at home before the dive, or at the dive site?
  3. Anyone know of shops which sell a variety pack of different sizes and brands?
  4. Is it strange to use the verb "don" in this context?

1. No. Shake the old man about a bit (can be like a tortoise if it's really cold!)

2. Sometimes. It's easier to put on in the bathroom after a shower (not cold!). Minor challenge is if you need a pee before diving, it needs a good shake to get rid of drips.
Practically it's not really a problem to put it on at the dive site; just need to find a bit of privacy -- nobody else wants to see one's todger! It literally rolls on, but make sure you shove the head fully inside the catheter before rolling down.
Trim the forest first. Hair gets caught in the glue and is painful to extract -- like plucking hair out!

3. Everyone uses one size: enormous.
Seriously though, you need to get the right size. Too small and the tortoise will retract back into its shell as it were. Too big and it really won't fit and will probably leak.
You can get sizing templates in some packs which are a card with different sizes which you measure over the glans.
It's probably best if you just get hold of one and give it a go. Just wear it for a few hours "out and about" and see if it fits.

There's a couple of brands that's common in the UK: the Bard / Rochester "Wideband" and the Convene. The Convene's a smaller pack and needs to fit correctly. It's definitely easier (= less painful) to remove than the Wideband. However, the Wideband really is very reliable and much thicker (1mm?). I've never had an accident with either, but did come close when someone gave me some smaller Convenes and the old man went back into his shell as it were.

So definitely get the right size. A couple of mm won't matter, but a whole size difference will.

Another thing that will help is to get a "quick connect" valve which enables the barbed piece to disconnect and cuts off the flow. The barbed bit can then be inserted into the catheter before donning. When putting on the drysuit you can connect the two ends together.

After diving, you'll need to disconnect the hose and rinse it out. I tend to disconnect it and blow a few mouthfuls of water through the pipe (from a bottle of water).

I use the 41mm... in case you need to borrow one

Well at least that's the size I keep in my kit in case someone need one. :wink:

lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom