How to extinguish a Li-ion battery fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay

Need to dive more!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 10.25.13 am.png

source and more detail: Safety Concerns with Li-ion Batteries – Battery University

which also says " Water-based products are most readily available and are appropriate since Li-ion contains very little lithium metal that reacts with water."

and slightly contradicts (re lithium quantity):

and ... "Despite their name, lithium-ion batteries used in consumer products do not contain any actual lithium metal." source: How Do You Put Out a Lithium-Ion Battery Fire?

and if you can't. (e.g. can't get to it / nothing appropriate to pick it up with / already ablaze etc ....)

reason for the post is that in the other thread there's a some incorrect thoughts in the best techniques to fight a li-ion battery fire.

RC car world, drop it in a bucket of water. Battery alone, or the whole car.
Last RC car battery I bought had disposal instructions, drop in salt water. Once battery voltage is zero it can be thrown away with normal trash.
I have popped a battery once. It was a failing pack. So I took a good cell and put a power supply to it and just turned it up until it popped. I've lit piles of black powder (gun powder) that were less energetic.

Lithium battery isn't a block of Lithium metal. As noted above, Lithium salt. Much like Sodium is very reactive in water, but sodium salt (Sodium Chloride) is what makes salt water salty.

I just bought a Lipo bag for charging

What about our homes? Kind of makes you think. I wonder if there are any stats on home fires caused by these batteries?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom