How to extinguish a Li-ion battery fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, 18650 and 26650 batts are lithium-ion. Much safer than lithium (energizer disposable) or lithium polymer (RC car/drone batts). I don't bother storing 18650's in a burn proof box, I keep them in a regular hard shell dry box.

I have accidentally pierced an 18650. Few sparks, little heat, no fire is what I experienced. It was not a big deal.

So it sounds like you are either saying that I am good or that I wasted money on an unnecessary bag.

Nope, 18650 and 26650 batts are lithium-ion. Much safer than lithium (energizer disposable) or lithium polymer (RC car/drone batts). I don't bother storing 18650's in a burn proof box, I keep them in a regular hard shell dry box.

I have accidentally pierced an 18650. Few sparks, little heat, no fire is what I experienced. It was not a big deal.
And lithium ion can catch fire too. Jeesh people. Just because they aren't "as bad" as metallic lithium batteries doesn't mean they don't have a ton of stored energy - enough to start a fire especially if over charged.
So it sounds like you are either saying that I am good or that I wasted money on an unnecessary bag.

Use the bag

I'm saying you're good. Sorry that I wasn't clear up front.

I've punctured a lipo battery (the kind in RC cars/drones) in a controlled environment just to see how bad it went out.
If there would have been anything remotely flammable nearby it would have caught fire, it combusted in a very undelicate matter.
Not tried 18650 batteries the same way, but as you say lithium-ion batteries are not as volatile as lithium-polymer ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom