How to fill my tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you telling me that if I take my tank down the street to the fire station that they will fill it up for me?

They might, it just depends on those in charge. I have heard that the smaller fire halls are more likely to fill tanks.

I donate to their charitable events and they are happy to fill my tanks. It works well for everyone.

Nither is any other compressor brand without a filter or chemical filter cartridge removed. It is simple just add chemical filter. Even for Americans

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

The compressor as listed on Amazon.com and as delivered when purchased is not suitable for delivering breathable air for scuba diving. Can filtration be added? Absolutely. However proper filtration is not provided with the compressor or even referenced as additional items to purchase.

This seller, who clearly has a vested interest in selling product, even mentions the limitations of this model with regards to filtration and duty cycle limitations with larger cylinders.

Question:
Does it filter out moisture
Answer:
SCU30 itself cannot filter moisture,it has to be equipped a filter bucket. But if it does it will slow down the speed of pump. If you have air quality requirements, we strongly recommend SCU100,100L/min,300bar 4500psi,safety value at 4th stage,oil separator and filter,less than 82dB. check out this in DAVV store. Thank you.
By D Machinery SELLER on February 4, 2018

Question:
"Can't be used for scuba diving" in the description??
Answer:
Because it will takes a long time to fill more than 6.8L tank and the compressor will wear out in a short time.
By D Machinery SELLER on May 30, 2018

What is this reason? please explain fully.
They are 10 times more expensive? No they are 10 times cheaper.
They are not American over price.

Maths is simple Luxer is 11 litres volume at 207 bar pressure so 2277 volume L
compressor is 50 litres per minute so 45 minutes time.

How does this take hours you are confused.

I agree. Not hours...but not 45 minutes either unless you want to destroy the compressor in a short time.

Your math is correct, but you assume a constant 50 lpm fill rate from 0 to 207 bar. But you already suggested three or even four 15 to 20 minute filling intervals. I would give the system a minimum of 15 minutes to cool down.

Even the seller of this product has concerns with filling 11 liter cylinders.

Question:
"Can't be used for scuba diving" in the description??
Answer:
Because it will takes a long time to fill more than 6.8L tank and the compressor will wear out in a short time.
By D Machinery SELLER on May 30, 2018

OK - one last question - how about this guy - they are recommending -
https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-30M...29036092&sr=8-44&keywords=Water-Oil+separator

This is the same first principle product for making any small HP air compressor into a HP breathing air compressor, first seperate the oil mist and the water condensate. Same a Bauer do making the S30 into the Junior II however to complete the task you also need to remove the water vapout and oil smell taste.
This is with a same size 350mm x 50mm diameter filter but inside is the chemicals needed to achieve breathing air. You can see adverst for this twin tower product in the Amozan listing.

I will be blunt also. You are wrong. it is crap information you talk about different oils and harmful by products this is what is called bulls hit. be very specific about this name the oil, name the specific by product of that oil.
in micrograms or PPM if you prefer american terms
This tiny paintball compressor uses Mobile 800 series oils which are not recommended for use in breathing air compressors... So I just maybe this is a bad idea? :)
https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Industrial/pds/GLXXMobil-Rarus-800-Series

I will be blunt also. You are wrong. it is crap information you talk about different oils and harmful by products this is what is called bulls hit. be very specific about this name the oil, name the specific by product of that oil.

Diving and Subaquatic Medicine, Fifth Edition

Pages 259-260

Did you look at the recommended oils for the compressor the OP was looking at? Let's take a look at the higher (that is, better) of the two Mobil grades, here:

https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/lubricants/products/mobil-rarus-829

See in the first sentence where it says, " not recommended for air compressors used in breathing air applications"? Why do you suppose that might be? Could it be because one or more additives in the lubrication package create vapors that are not well-absorbed by 13x or AC, perhaps? Could it be because it's never been tested and found safe for breathing air (never mind breathing air to be used under water)?

And why do you suppose the manufacturer recommends that the compressor itself not be used for breathing air? Could it be that it can get hot enough to cause oil flashover even if a breathing air compressor oil like the Isel CF x000 series (see Breathing Air Compressor Oils | Isel) that is safe for human contact and even incidental human consumption is used? Did you know that oil flashover can create compounds that are not filtered by 13X or AC and not transformed into something less harmful by monoxycon even when oils specified by breathing air compressor manufacturers are used? (For a list and documentation of hot compressors as a cause, see: http://www.daneurope.org/c/document...1f7-d0cf-4969-b39a-00e4afb1c06e&groupId=10103)

Now suppose you want to use that compressed gas for diving, where the partial pressure of any harmful component of the gas is much greater than at sea level. Would you suppose none of these risks apply to you?

Breathing air standards are just a Google search away, but here's one such site that lists them: Breathing Air Test: Grade E, PADI

Some of us think it's appropriate to warn others when they embark on things that are (a) not know to be safe and (b) violate practices that are known to be safe. So, since you think what I and others posted is bovine excrement (I find that SB filters certain words), let me reverse the challenge. Get one of these compressors and run it hot through filters designed for breathing air and get an air test. Post the result. While you think about that, call one of the air testing labs and ask how many compressors that are actually designed for breathing air fail the test anyway due to defect, sloppy maintenance, overheating, or bad filtration.

Failing that, find some documentation to support your position that breathing air acceptable for diving can be made using one of these compressors and its recommended lubricants with the addition of the usual sort of filtration used for breathing air.

Failing even that, you might reconsider what you wrote.

Make friends with your local fire dept and buy a fill adapter from Northeast Scuba Supply.

Problem solved. I breathed FD air today. Got kissed on the nose by a big Bluegill.

If there is no scuba shop nearby, a fire station might be a decent solution, pending a look at their air analysis results.

But you might get the kind fire station folks in hot water if you're not certified.

The OP is surrounded by scuba shops and is not certified.

Last edited:
If there are no scuba stores nearby, a fire station might be a decent solution, pending a look at their air analysis results.

But you might get the kind folks at the fire station in hot water if you're not certified.

The OP is surrounded by scubas stores and not certified.

Missed that, he definitely needs to be certified first.

Back
Top Bottom