How to find an excellent SCUBA class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geradarys,

In the UK there are 2 ways to learn to dive :

a) Via the diving club route. You join a BSAC or SAA club and are trained inside the club. The focus will be on UK conditions but the qualification is valid worldwide.

b) Via a commercial organisation such as PADI or SSI.

Most people on Scubaboard speak about option B. I just thought you should be aware that alternative A exists.

And to make it easier here's the BSAC link.

Also consider beyond basic OW Cert. you want to feel comfortable to continue your dive training with the shop / instructor beyond the basics.

That was really a nice information you provided out there mate..it is quite helpful and is a must read for every novice or the beginner who wants to learn his/her way around diving..i guess this is quite great..

I wish I had read this post before I signed up for a scuba class, however, I lucked out and got an excellent instructor, John G.. Mine was ten weeks, 3 hours once a week half pool and half class. The instructor was excellent. I was the only one who signed up and he did not mind so I got a great deal. A very patient and kind man and I have met quite a few of his students who all have good things to say about him.

He was not doing advanced this year so I took the advice of this forum and talked to my next instructor (different lds) prior to starting the class. I also had the opportunity to dive with him prior to the check out dives, which I have not done yet, and learned much just from that. I would take a class with either of these guys again.

Recently I spoke to a friend who is a diver doing search and recovery locally in fresh water who told me they train their divers themselves. Once I get more experienced diving, I am considering going that route, which I did not know was available.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

I wish I read this before I signed up for my OW class...(sigh)...

As a newbie, I identified so many shortcomings, like not asking about the instructor, not checking the pool etc, which became a big deal for me as it is currently winter here in Aus and the pool is actually outdoors with a roof (and not indoor like what was advertised)!

I did my e-learning, no probs with that. I went through my pool session last Saturday through the bitterly cold weather, and although I completed the tasks (some took a while for me to do) I felt that it was "rushed". There were several tasks that I would have loved to focus or practice more but didn't get the chance to as it was only a 1 day session, and the total time spent on the pool was probably about less than 5 hours. The rest of it were spent on classroom and the obligatory shop tour.

Things that I would have loved to know beforehand:
1) Maximum size of the class and size of the pool - this was not an issue when we were all kneeling but for some tasks the space constraints of the pool hindered my learning
2) Gearing up for the weather - i wish we were advised and given the option to wear a suitable gear, our instructor was wearing a semi-dry suit with 2 layers underneath, while the students were wearing ill-fitted rentals. Im not blaming the instructors here, but as newbies, we didn't know about these sharkskins or lavacores, which would have made the experience a lot more pleasant as opposed to what felt like a "hazing" session...(i hope people see the humour in this comment, not trying to pick a fight) :D

I am heading to Tulamben in couple of weeks time, where I will do my ocean dives and complete the course, and do more dives straight after so I can practice further:wink:

I'm not feeling comfortable about my course I have to say. The instructor is nice and helpful, but there's too many of us. Ten students per class, one instructor on first day because another got sick, on second another came and helped us during gearing up but only worked with one student who was falling behind so 9 students per one instructor. I'm curious about today. Also, I wake up, go to work, finish, go to 4.5 hr long diving course. Two days like this past me and another three ahead of me and this morning I feel like hell, can't concentrate on work, I'm tired and slow. What should I do?

Even if you are in the middle of a class, you still have a choice. Ask your instructor about converting this to a private or semi-private class. If economics allow it, choose an entirely different instructor or venue. Heaven forbid that you have to travel to some tropical destination to learn how to Scuba! :D Just be sure to do your due diligence and make sure that the instructor you are going to actually cares about turning out great divers.

This is your class and your life! You can call a class just as you can call a dive, at any time, for any reason and it's entirely up to you.

Reactions: D_B
I did the PADI online course and then the Three day certification while on vacation in Belize. It was a good experience and I have not run into any trouble. I made friends with an instructor here in Germany and I have been bringing my Soldiers to his class. (I needed more dive buddys) After seeing a classroom setting that goes at the students own pace and comparing the two, I think the classroom is the way to go. You learn better and have the time to ask questions. That can make you better prepared and more comfortable when you find yourself 90 feet down surrounded by potentially dangerous situations.

I just got my open water certification through PADI at a local dive shop. As seems to be the case with many the training was minimal. I plan on continuing my training with PADI and some trhough DAN. Which more advanced courses would I recieve more in depth training with SSI/TDI then with PADI; or with other training organizations?

Yes I do agree that these are certainly factors to consider; but however many are ambiguous. For example, asking how long an instructor has been teaching for is a great idea; but consider the response because yes instructors should get better over time but occasionally the can pick up bad habits along the way and new instructors have been more exposed to the lastest updates and workshops.

Also lets consider the new PADI Open water course, due to be released this year. Our new PADI Instructors here in the Gili Islands are preparing themselve by attending workshops through the local PADI Course Director and instructors working in remote areas will not have that facility. There is however the online update, but this will not come with the general hints and tips available at these workshops

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 03:26 PM ----------

OK, so you took the Open Water Course. Training is aimed at people who want to try diving for the first time and become proficient enough in a few days to dive to a certain depth with a buddy. I would sugest continuing with PADI and taking further courses so as you can become a profficient diver. SSI is basically the same system and TDI is further down the road. So for recreational diving i would sugest PADI, but for more advanced diving TDI is a good choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom