How to get my paraplegic buddy back into the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're just about to do the Disability Awareness course at my club, a BSAC course that covers all forms of disability, so some of the tips you mention should stand me in good stead when I get in the pool for the n water stuff. (I'm not used to being taught - it'll be an ineresting session!)
My buddy is getting re-certified n Oz so hopefully he'll also have lots of tips. Thanks for the help

Cheers

Tim

It is also helpful to have the HSA Dive card as some dive operators are skittish about letting a handicapped diver on if they have not demonstrated their skills post accident.

I think that is what a log book is for an I correct? I didnt dive before I got hurt and I didnt need HSA to get certified or to become a Master Diver I HAVE NEVER HAD A DIVE OPERATOR ASK ME FOR AN HSA CARD. If you are passing on this information than it is wrong.

...didnt need HSA to get certified or to become a Master Diver I HAVE NEVER HAD A DIVE OPERATOR ASK ME FOR AN HSA CARD. If you are passing on this information than it is wrong.
Not wrong, just not applicable to your experience at the dive shops or boats you have visited so far. Others have had a different experience.
Do you need an HSA card or certification to dive? No, never claimed you did. HSA certified divers normally receive other agency cards (NAUI, PADI, SSi etc) along with their HSA card.

Does an instructor have to be HSA Certified to teach a paraplegic or quadriplegic diver to dive. No. But IMHO they should be certified by some agency that specializes in the handicapped. Why? Well, it is usually a good thing to take advantage of others experience especially when there are years of it available in a short 3 day course. At the 2008 DEMA I was volunteering in the HSA booth and I had more than one Non-HSA instructor tell me about their experiences teaching a paraplegic diver. They freely admitted they had no clue about what they were doing. One never thought to put booties on him in the pool until he saw the blood in the water.

Does a handicapped diver need to be certified (or re-certified) by an agency specializing in Handicapped divers? Need, no, but would I recommend it? Yes. Always useful to take advantage of others experience and since there are agencies who have been gathering that experience and teaching the handicapped for over 20 years, why not take advantage of that?

Consider this, we visit this and other boards to do just that, take advantage of the experience of others to find a better or easier, or maybe just different way of doing things. Sometimes the lesson is what worked, often it is what did not.

You question made me think of a book that I read many years ago, Scuba Lifesaving by Albert Pierce. It had a chapter that addressed different techniques for removing a victim from the water onto small boats. I don't know that any of these could be adapted to be useful for the situation you describe as I have no experience in that area. Obviously, your dive buddy is hardly a 'victim' in the sense used in the book.

This is why I thought I might post on scubaboards because I am an actual paraplegic with actual diving experience. So many people ask questions to be answered by people that have no experiece other than being somebodies buddy. We all need them but as I said before for me, HSA has not been helpful. If you want to toot their horn, go for it, but I'll still be the gimp in the wheelchair doing however I need to do it and you'll still be the guy walking around telling us how to do it. Thanks, Pasley.

Yes, your first hand experience makes you a valuable contributor to SCUBABOARD and I imagine other boards as well. I look forward to reading your post and learning from them.

First hand experience in this, or any other subject provides valuable knowledge and input that very relevant, but limited in scope to identical or very similar situations. But does first hand experience make a person an expert on the subject? No, not unless no one has ever done that before. The study of the combined knowledge and experience of thousands of divers with a wide range of disabilities ranging from C1-2 to L4-5 completes and incomplete through Cerebral Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Cancer, Cognitive Disabilities, Amputations to the Visually Impaired (Blind) over many years in locations from all over the world in all different types of diving environments is what confers upon HSA and other certification agencies for the handicapped the word "expert". I spent a year in Iraq advising the Iraqi Security Forces, went on missions with the Iraqis, ate meals with them, visited their homes etc, but that does not qualify me as an expert on Iraq or the war there, it does qualify me as an expert ONLY in the limited area I was in and on the forces I was advising, someone else who was only 3 miles from me an not an adviser, or advising a different force may have had a totally different experience and therefore expertise.

BrokenT10:
as I said before for me, HSA has not been helpful
Not helpful? You chose not to use them, so how could they be? Your experience with HSA is (if I understood you correctly) that you approached a HSA instructor about lessons and upon learning he was a brand new HSA instructor, elected not to use him. HSA instructors are already certified SCUBA Instructors by other agencies (NAUI, PADI, SSI, and others) and provides them with an additional course of instruction on topics specific to training the handicapped to dive. The course is based upon the sum total of knowledge gained from both the study of the subject and the experience of thousands of other handicapped divers and hundreds of other instructors who have taught the handicapped to SCUBA dive since 1982. You decision to take your SCUBA training (I understand you certified post accident) from another instructor who had no training at all on the subject of teaching the handicapped to SCUBA dive and for both of you to “figure it out for yourself as you went” is your prerogative. Was it the right choice for you? Well since that was the choice you made we must say yes. But others may choose to take advantage of the knowledge and experience already gained not only by visiting this board and others, but by taking training form an agency that has been training the handicapped to dive.

The advantage of a formal training is that it not only saves time but more importantly it gives a person a broader base of experience gained from a wide variety of peoples life experiences in the particular area of training. A person with a formal training still needs to have life experiences true. But even before they get that life experience they already have a broad base of tools (others experience) to draw from which puts them ahead of others who are also starting from zero experience or knowledge in the field.

I believe that for a handicapped individual to take their SCUBA training, either for the first time or to re-certify from an agency like HSA or IHDA or some other agency is a good thing as it gives the diver a head start and the advantage of years of other handicapped divers experience. I believe that an instructor or a dive buddy should receive formal training in the subject before they start teaching or diving with a handicapped diver. Notice I do not say "must" or "have to", but "should". You obviously have a different opinion. That is fine.

You might look at rigging a lifesling Lifesling MOB Recovery System from the davit. It's easier to get into than a bosun's chair, and it floats.

Diveheart is hosting an instructor/buddy training course here in Long Beach Ca on Jan 14-18, 2009. Lecture at the Aquarium of the Pacific and pool sessions at Pacific Sporting Goods, Long Beach Ca. Instructor cost $375.00, Buddy cost $200.00. The Aquarium of the Pacific is host a "Festival of Abilities" on Jan. 24-25, PLEASE come out to this very special event with Cody Unser (www.cufsf.org) giving in water dive presentations!

Please contact diveheart or myself for more information, ecastillo@lbaop.org.

There is a post with all the info in this thread area.
Eric Castillo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom