How to keep line on spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was at the scuba show today, and I picked up a reel with 150' of line. How does one go about preventing it from unwinding when you take in under water? Rubberband maybe?

Yep, sure do. I have a pretty sharp knife I keep on my left thigh. But thank you for the warning. I picked this up for my SMB, so thats probably the only time I would use it. Sounds like I should find a way to keep it from unwinding unless I really need it.

Using the double bolt snap works well. If there isn't one already, tie a knot in the line making a 1/2" loop and use the bolt snap to pull it tight and clip it through a hole in the reel.

Get some help learning how to deploy the SMB if you can. They go off quickly and will drag you up if the reel isn't free to unwind! (We've all done that!)

Using the double bolt snap works well. If there isn't one already, tie a knot in the line making a 1/2" loop and use the bolt snap to pull it tight and clip it through a hole in the reel.

Get some help learning how to deploy the SMB if you can. They go off quickly and will drag you up if the reel isn't free to unwind! (We've all done that!)
This is what I do as well. Also consider that some spools are sold with too much line for the size spool. I have had to remove line on several to give me a better fit and access to the holes.

Spend the $20 and get you a specific line cutter to add to your toolbox. The trilobite is a well known option. I loves mine, line, straps or whatever it goes through it like butter.

Spend the $20 and get you a specific line cutter to add to your toolbox. The trilobite is a well known option. I loves mine, line, straps or whatever it goes through it like butter.
And they fit nicely on a wrist strap for easy access...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom