How to keep line on spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearly I have much to learn :)

I'll be at my LDS this week, so I'll pick up that cutter. I'm starting Rescue Diver in the next few weeks. I'll make sure to have my instructor cover deploying an SMB.

That should have been covered in Advanced. Tell them they owe you.

Who's your rescue instructor? You can pm me that.

Do it the DIR style and secure it to the periphery of the spool.
http://www.aquanauts.co.uk/media/ca...3525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/i/dirzonespools.jpg

And here's a bit more info about that technique...
Du bon usage du « Spool »… | Santiago Diving Mexico

The article is in French, sorry about that (I'll end up translating that for him as I keep refering to that article :D ). The videos should be enough to understand the basic principles...

The DIR guys use the method linked by Mr.X because their spools are in their pockets. Hence if it comes loose, no big deal, it's still in your pocket. If your spool is clipped off, I'd avoid using that method, even if one of the H-guys told me "it's not a big deal if your spool unwinds behind you in a cave", I still prefer avoiding the hassle.

Both ways it can come out.

Gate outside:

Gate inside:
While I agree it is unlikely to come off, it's still possible.

In the second video it would seem to me he had the benefit of gravity and zero drag working for him and it would be much more difficult to replicate that underwater. Although, this is purely conjecture mixed with a little logic. I could be completely wrong. :D

If he is wanting a reel for a dsmb, the primary reel is overkill. The is a video on youtube about how to set up you finger spool to keep it from unlatching. if I wasn't on my phone I would load it. its a british guy

If he is wanting a reel for a dsmb, the primary reel is overkill. The is a video on youtube about how to set up you finger spool to keep it from unlatching. if I wasn't on my phone I would load it. its a british guy
Having used both, I tend to disagree. I've had the finger spool yanked out of my grip when launching a safety sausage, and I've had it slip from hand and unspool while winding it up during my ascent. The reel with a handle, hand crank and means to lock the reel from unspooling in my opinion is worth the $50 you'll spend on it.

The problem with reels is that, if mishandled, they will rats-nest much more easily than a finger spool. Both have benefits and drawbacks. I find it much easier to train a newer diver using a finger spool. One of the things they have to learn is how to keep steady tension in the line ... loose line underwater tends to take on evil intent. I call it "underwater macramé" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom