How to keep line on spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spools in general are very versatile and useful under water.. As mine are marked with an knot every 10' they are great for searches and general distance measuring. I use one exclusively on my DSMB. I will carry spools even when I am not carrying my reel.

The problem with reels is that, if mishandled, they will rats-nest much more easily than a finger spool. Both have benefits and drawbacks. I find it much easier to train a newer diver using a finger spool. One of the things they have to learn is how to keep steady tension in the line ... loose line underwater tends to take on evil intent. I call it "underwater macramé" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I agree. Even with the reel there has to be some tension on the line (i've also learned that the hard way). I did learn on the finger spool, and I keep a finger spool in my BC for other purposes, often a backup SMB.

Both ways it can come out.
I completely agree.

The difference in the videos is the amount of line on the spool. The one that won't come off in post #14 is barely more than half loaded, so there is nothing for the latch to push against. I agree that in most cases, you should take some line off of the overloaded spool when you first buy it, but most people carry a lot more line than there is on that video.

Last edited:
Do it the DIR style and secure it to the periphery of the spool.
http://www.aquanauts.co.uk/media/ca...3525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/i/dirzonespools.jpg

FYI. The double enders are wrongly attached to the spools in the images. That's the quickest way to loose equipment. The open side should face the line, not the spool IMO.

The double-ender on my spool setup above is also wrong. I actually lost that spool during a cave because of that. Fortunately we got reunited a couple of months later.

Last edited:
I still don't get what's so wrong with the attachment I suggested above. Especially if you are clipping your spool off.

If the intent is only for your SMB, I've learned a nifty little trick from a DM I was with recently. He had a 5m / 16ft pice of string attached to his SMB with a small 3oz weight tied at the bottom. He deplayed his SMB as we neared the surface and once at the SMB was afloat the wieght also surved as a visual reference point diring our safety stop. I thouht it very clever and you wind the string round your SMB and keep it in you pocket. No spools or risk of line comming off.

If the intent is only for your SMB, I've learned a nifty little trick from a DM I was with recently. He had a 5m / 16ft pice of string attached to his SMB with a small 3oz weight tied at the bottom. He deplayed his SMB as we neared the surface and once at the SMB was afloat the wieght also surved as a visual reference point diring our safety stop. I thouht it very clever and you wind the string round your SMB and keep it in you pocket. No spools or risk of line comming off.
I don't think I want to be separated from my SMB, and I usually deploy at depth and not when nearing my safety stop. Since my SMB reel has a handle and lock nut, when I reach my safety stop I lock the line, dump air in my bc and just hang on the SMB for a pleasant 3 minutes of looking around/chilling until time to surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom