How to layer insulation under wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Going to Socorro in Jan. and never dived in water this cold (72 ). I'm taking a lavacore under suit,a vest,a thermalution heated vest, as well as a 7 mil wetsuit. Which one goes on first,second,third under the wetsuit? Appreciate any help.

Yikes, that's a lot of layers to squeeze under a 7 mil. I would use the Lavacore as the base layer, then either the vest or the Thermalution as the mid layer. Too much bulk will be counter productive. In fact, just the Lavacore may be sufficient under the 7 mil. Bring a 5 mil or 7 mil hood as well.
Personally, for anything that requires more than a 5 mil, I would go with a drysuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For 72 degree water I just dive a 7 mil and a hood and that's plenty and I get cold pretty easily

Not sure what your thermal tolerance is but that is a lot of insulation in my opinion.
I would suspect the Lava Core under the 7mm would be adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me that's way too much. Up here (upstate NY) diving Lake George where the thermocline is always below 60°F and mostly in the 50°F range people consider a 7mm fine with nothing under it. For 72°F I wouldn't use more than a lavacore under a 3mm or the 3mm alone. You must get cold really easily. Also, could you rent a 7mm? Traveling with one must be a pain. It probably would take up an entire suitcase.

The Thermalution has to be next to the skin. That and the 7mm should be plenty. A hood will help, so if all you have is a hooded vest, that would be between the Thermalution and the 7mm.

I spent 3 hours in the water in a well fitted 5mm suit in 70-72 degree water 3 days in a row and was fine. I wasn't toasty warm at the end, but wasn't freezing either. But in Hawaii I saw a girl who needed two 7mm suits layered to stay in more than 20 minutes, so if you are really sensitive to the cold, then maybe you will need that. But it's going to be hell to get the suit on over all that gear if it is properly sized.

I live in the LA area and dive our cold waters on a regular basis. 72 is actually pretty warm for us. I get cold easily and would probably dive my 7mm suit with no hood for that temp. The water is starting to cool off now and I dove Laguna at 59 degrees in my 7mm with a 5/3 hooded vest and was still cold. Looking to dive dry or get a warmer 8/7 hooded semi-dry and a lavacore shirt.

Back
Top Bottom