How to locate the optimal height for sidemount cylinder bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see. Would suspect that is the case. I will tighten the sliding D-ring and see how it go.But with Faber steel tank which does not change buoyancy as ali tank, what is the benefit of sliding D-ring?

the benefit isn't as large with steel tanks between sliding and fixed drings. the sliding dring gives multiple possible attachment points which is more useful for an aluminum tank that needs to be moved further along the harness multiple times as it empties to keep good trim whereas a steel tank does not get very positively buoyant and might only need to be moved once or twice down from the hip drings.

A cylinder exists in 3 buoyancy states, during the dive:

1) Negative
2) Neutral
3) Positive

All cylinders start negatively buoyant. When clipped, they'll hang.

As gas is consumed from the cylinder, the amount of negative buoyancy reduces.

For as long as the tank remains negative, no matter how slightly, it continues to hang down.

Aluminium tanks can become positively buoyant when sufficient gas is consumed from the tank.

Most steel tanks do not become positively buoyant, even if emptied. Invariably they will always hang. There are a small handful of exceptions.

Tanks that become positively buoyant will float. Any tank that's at all positively buoyant, even slightly, will float.

Tanks float up from the base. Buoyancy is not uniform across the cylinder. This is because the top of the cylinder has a heavy chrome/brass cylinder valve and heavy regulator 1st stage on it.

The base of the tank can (and for aluminium, usually does) becomes floaty, long before the entire tank becomes positively buoyant. This is because the weight of the valves/regulator etc at the top is supported.

Neutral buoyancy is momentary - the tank passes from positive to negative in the space of a single breath. For sidemount purposes we can pretty much disregard neutral buoyancy of tanks.

So... tanks are either hanging or floating. This factor dictates only two attachment points; one to the rear for when tanks are hanging and one to the front for when tanks are floating.

I'm not sure where this 'incremental' myth comes came from. Positive or negative buoyancy... hanging or floating tanks... take your pic.

Sliding D-rings are unnecessary from a cylinder trim perspective. There is no need, nor benefit, to "incrementally" moving them.

The reason to have sliding D-rings is if you find it more awkward to manipulate and operate bolt-snaps. Using a sliding D-ring removes the need to unclip, relocate and re-clip the cylinder bolt snaps.

For some divers, such as those in cold water wearing thicker gloves, that can he beneficial.

For divers without an impediment to their dexterity... and who are well trained, with attention to detail, in equipment operation.... there's little or no need for a sliding D-ring at all.

Last edited:
There's zero need for a sliding D-ring with steel cylinders.

What is your recommendation on the most optimal attachment configuration for Faber steel cylinders? They behave worse in this regard.

ok, some update from me, after several trial with sliding D-ring, no way the sliding D-ring can hold the Faber steel cylinder. no matter how tighten you can get with the bungee, the d-ring just doesnt hold the steel cylinder at a fix position. At the moment, i clip it on my butt ring, but i thinking of adding fix D-ring to waist belt and clip the tanks there. sliding D-ring might be good for stage, deco, ali bottle.

unless someone teach me how to tighten the sliding D-ring more, but then it will be really difficult to move it, if it too tight

I use a curved weight belt buckle with a ring welded to it, works very well.

My stealth O rings handled faber 12s no problem...
Tanks rigged about the same as for aluminium, but with the bottom snap rotated a bit more.

I am not cool enough to be "the forum clown", I am more like a sidekick..
Man....advice from Andy being called condescending and belligerent? That's madness but I guess there's all kinds. Tell you what, listen to what the guys says.....it's church as far as I'm concerned. Whether its an improvement to an existing system or otherwise (we are all aware that these systems are absolutely perfect and need no teaks) the guy speaks from experience. One day Mr Davis we will meet!

Back
Top Bottom