How to maintain gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homerdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took my daughter lionfish hunting over Christmas break and she loved it. Got two of them with a pole spear. As a present, my dad got me my own pole spear this Christmas (we had told him how much we enjoyed hunting lionfish)

Since we will probably do this max once per year, I was wondering about something I seem to remember from the internet.

I thought I read that you should take the band off and put them in the freezer to help them last longer. I also have a spear gun - havent used yet, I have the same question for its bands. They seem to be a lot stronger.

As a side note, the spear we took down with us, the band broke 1/2 through the hunt and had to be fixed with a quick knot

Thanks

Homerdoc IMG_0985.JPG

Great to hear that you are hunting the invasive lionfish! They are some of the best eating fish in the ocean!

A lot of people like to put their latex bands in the fridge when being stored for long term. We sell replacement pole spear and speargun bands as well as the bulk latex tubing and tools and supplies necessary to make your own.

Latex bands are considered consumable materials and may only last several months of hard use. With occasional use and ideal storage they can last for a few years. Normal use, sunlight, high temperature and ozone all accelerate the decomposition of natural latex.

In most diving applications, silicone rubber can be used (for masks, straps etc.). It has much better longevity and resistance to decomposition, but the elastic properties still don't match that of natural latex, so we are stuck with latex.

Prior to a trip, you should stretch out the bands and inspect for wear and degradation. It often makes sense to pack a fresh spare or two as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom