How to make SMB and reel dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ycc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys, just get myself a smb and finger reel and bring them to water last sunday

I found the reel is still wet after 2 day so to make the reel dry, I un-reel all the line until it dry and then re-reel it

Is there a smarter way to dry these ?

Another problem is that I couldn't make the inside of the SMB dry completely.
I am using zeagle semi-closed smb btw

I never dry my reel (mostly fresh water). I just hang it in the garage on my BP/W. The SMB I inflate fully and hang it so the OPV is at the bottom, let it sit for a day so all the little water collects at the bottom and then I purge the water out and roll it up.

I just hang the smb unfurled and the reel in my garage. 2-4 days later when I check they are dry. Mine is a reel rather than a finger spool but that does not matter.

If I am diving in salt water, I will soak my reels/spools in warm fresh water for at least an hour or more. SMB get rinsed and hung.

I do also run a dehumidifier in my garage, but that's just because we have such high humidity in Florida.

I should have added that all gear gets a fresh water rinse if diving was in salt water. Then hang to dry.

I don't worry about making sure the line and inside of the SMB dry fully, I give it all a good rinse and hang it up to dry. The inner line on the reel probably stays wet most of the year anyways since it's used frequently.

Toss the SMB and reel into the clothes dryer, use high heat. Should be dry in about 45 minutes.

:wink:

Last edited:
You might want to read this, then think about (as it says) pulling all the line off your spool into a bucket of water, then winding it back onto the spool wet.

Dive Gear Express® | Official Site | Dive Gear Express®

Wet cave line tends to swell. If it's wound onto a spool/reel at all tightly, when it gets wet and expands, it CAN actually warp the sidewalls of the spool/reel. This actually happened to one of my reels, so I have learned that this is not just an imaginary issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom