How to not overheat on surface swims

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a farmer John, so when I get overheated I just zip down the jacket a ways and let the cold water in as needed. When I go to SoCal I usually dive with the zipper down.

Bob

I find its easier to kick out on my back than surface swimming face down with an inflated BC.

Full disclosure, all of my open water experience is 5 shore dives on both sides of the Anglin Pier at Lauderdale-by-the-sea. All 5 dives included swimming almost to the end of the pier before going down.

Yes I prefer laying back inflate and kicking out .. lol that is how I got the sunburn. Saves gas for looking at the interesting stuff :)
Nice dive site that. I was there for a cleanup dive a few years ago. That swim isn't as far as the LaJolla Shores one tho.

I ran into a similar problem diving my drysuit here in Hawai'i. Why dive dry in the tropics? When we have 4 hours of deco or scootering and not kicking the whole time, it gets chilly! When I first started doing these types of dives here, I would nearly bake in my suit from the 84F air temperature in hot sun, doing shore entries with >100lbs of gear. I switched to a much thinner undergarment and started using a heating vest. It kept me much cooler getting in the water, and when I got chilly, I turned my vest on during deco.

This is definitely not the most cost effective solution ($2,000 drysuit + $800 heating vest), but may be something to consider down the line if you see yourself diving for many years to come. Drysuit is much better :).

Personally I I find I am getting hot in the water (here in the UK? Are you kidding???) I would just duck dive down for a few seconds with the neck open to flush the suit - you don't even need to be on backgas or snorkel as you are simply ducking down for a couple of strokes and coming back up.

Never a problem here. But gearing up in summer can be a bit toasty.

I have enjoyed this thread - I have traveled to La Jolla for work, and done a few dives there. I look forward to returning! I can't add anything to the suggestions, but I wanted to comment on the shallows. (Early morning or night dives maybe, but then how would you get your line ups on a night dive). Coming back a little after dark, I ran across a beautiful halibut, that was cool. I believe it was a different dive, but it could have been the same one, also a little after dark, a seal buzzed over my head in about 8 feet of water! It seemed like it was traveling mach 2. It was chasing fish that had zipped past me a millisecond prior. Pretty exciting.

I have enjoyed this thread - ...
I believe it was a different dive, but it could have been the same one, also a little after dark, a seal buzzed over my head in about 8 feet of water! It seemed like it was traveling mach 2. It was chasing fish that had zipped past me a millisecond prior. Pretty exciting.

Wait until you see a cormorant come by to check you out at 80 ft!

One of these may help :)

70970_XJ37__33503.1492603828.1280.1280.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom