How to pack gear for flights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been so many threads on this that I won't add my personal method (on the one flight I've done in 13 years). But will mention again that someone on another thread said he/she has heard of someone wearing the BCD onto the plane and that it's perfectly legal and allowed. Though you might look like Leonard Hoffsteadter.

I know this is an old thread that recently got resurrected, but Sbiriguda asked how to pack for a dive trip in a normal suitcase.

I only recently got certified and have just started purchasing my own gear. I haven't taken it on a flight for a drive trip abroad yet, but I practiced packing everything at home to see if it would work and I can get my entire kit in a carry-on backpack. Of course your ability to do so will be dependent on the gear you have and the bag you are using.

I am a VERY light traveler. The biggest bag I ever use is an Osprey 46 travel backpack (and this is the bag I put all my scuba gear in). I tested it and can easily fit: my Hydros Pro BCD (with the weight pockets attached; I''ll have even more room and less weight if I remove them and replace it with the "travel-tec" harness), a 3mm fullsuit rolled up, 3mm booties, mask and snorkel, dive computer, regs (chunky ones at that - Aqualung Legend LX Supreme with octo), and a small mesh gear bag. On top of that, I also packed two pairs of boardshorts, a couple of t-shirts, a long-sleeved UPF sun shirt, a polo shirt, a small toiletry bag, and my GoPro. I still have space for an SMB and a dive light. Fins get strapped on the outside and a good book gets carried in my hands. I've used this bag as a carry-on on countless flights and it fits easily in the overhead bins, even with the fins strapped on. Keep in mind that I'm somewhat of a "dirtbag" traveler who only goes with the bare essentials when traveling to a warm destination. I wear a nice pair of shorts, a long-sleeved tropical weight linen shirt, and flip-flops on the flight no matter what the season is back home (I leave my jacket in the car at the airport). When in the Caribbean or the South Pacific, I basically live in boardshorts all week, putting on a t-shirt and flip-flops if necessary. Dressing up means wearing the nicer shorts I wore on the flight and maybe my linen shirt or polo shirt. I wear a pair of Ex Officio boxer briefs on the flight and wash them in the hotel sink. They dry in a few hours and are ready to go again if I need them. But like I said, I'm mostly in boardshorts anyway.

I didn't weigh my bag after I packed it, but it didn't feel any heavier than when I pack for month-long non-dive trips. Certainly it was comfortable enough to sling on my back. So, it can be done!

I have yet to fly with any of my gear, so I'm curious what people choose to bring. The two boat trips I'm going on charge $25 each for a full rental, so the money is about the same vs. a checked bag. Any comments on this list?

Must carry on:
  • Regulator
  • Computer
  • Card / log
  • Mask / snorkel / defog
Probably carry on:
  • BCD
Might carry on:
  • Boots / hood / gloves
  • Wetsuit / skinsuit
Rent even if you own:
  • Fins
  • Weights
  • Tanks

I have yet to fly with any of my gear, so I'm curious what people choose to bring. The two boat trips I'm going on charge $25 each for a full rental, so the money is about the same vs. a checked bag. Any comments on this list?

Must carry on:
  • Regulator
  • Computer
  • Card / log
  • Mask / snorkel / defog
Probably carry on:
  • BCD
Might carry on:
  • Boots / hood / gloves
  • Wetsuit / skinsuit
Rent even if you own:
  • Fins
  • Weights
  • Tanks
Flippers are light and pack easy, plus they're personal. I'd bring those.

Must carry on:
  • Regulator
  • Computer
  • Card / log
  • Mask / snorkel / defog
Probably carry on:
  • BCD
Might carry on:
  • Boots / hood / gloves
  • Wetsuit / skinsuit
Rent even if you own:
  • Fins
  • Weights
  • Tanks

Flippers are light and pack easy, plus they're personal. I'd bring those.

Totally agree with bringing fins. I have full-foot fins that I bring with me to warmer water (I use bigger, heavier open-heel fins at home in colder water.) My full-foots fit like a glove; no reason to risk using rental fins that don't fit quite right.

I pack fins, wetsuit, bcd and misc small stuff (snorkel, tool kit, gloves, smb, reel, etc) in my suitcase along with my clothes and other regular stuff.

Regulator, mask, computers, camera, lights go in my carry-on. I don't bring a big log book with me when I travel; I print logbook pages and bring just enough pages for that trip.

As for carrying on a BCD... I don't get it. Seems like it creates more problems than it solves.

I have worn a plate and wing, hybrid jacket, and sidemount rig at different times on 10 or more trips. As long as you don’t have a knife in it, you are ok. Zero problems with tsa or the airlines. Have had other customers make snide comments about it exceeding my carryon limit. I have had other passengers say what a good idea it was. On one trip half the people in our group wore BCD’s on board.

Really saves space. Last trip I took all my tech gear including 4 regulators, two stealths, a wetsuit, boots, fins, two computers, three masks, two hoods, a reel, a spool, two dsmbs , three lights, an a bunch of other stuff on board without any issues. The only things I checked in was an Al40, knives, and my tool kit.

10 of the last 12 trips our shop has run, someone did not get something in checked luggage. If you go to Bonaire, it could be particularly bad. One person had their gear run through Amsterdam and another had gear go thru Russia. By the time, one guy and his wife got their bcds, they only had time to use them for one day that week.

Really saves space. Last trip I took all my tech gear including 4 regulators, two stealths, a wetsuit, boots, fins, two computers, three masks, two hoods, a reel, a spool, two dsmbs , three lights, an a bunch of other stuff on board without any issues. The only things I checked in was an Al40, knives, and my tool kit.

Hmmm... wearing the BCD certainly seems to make sense if you have that much gear, as you need to find any possible advantage to consolidate.

Have had other customers make snide comments about it exceeding my carryon limit.

Some people are just inherently unhappy and show it by complaining about anything... even when they're about to leave on vacation. Not much you can do but feel sorry for them.

10 of the last 12 trips our shop has run, someone did not get something in checked luggage. If you go to Bonaire, it could be particularly bad. One person had their gear run through Amsterdam and another had gear go thru Russia. By the time, one guy and his wife got their bcds, they only had time to use them for one day that week.

Bizarre... so the luggage was seriously misrouted?? Were you connecting through Miami... the luggage went east and the people went south? If so, it would certainly strengthen the case for taking direct flights whenever possible.

Must carry on:
  • Regulator
  • Computer
  • Card / log
  • Mask / snorkel / defog
Probably carry on:
  • BCD
Might carry on:
  • Boots / hood / gloves
  • Wetsuit / skinsuit
Rent even if you own:
  • Fins
  • WeightsTanks

It's not always about the money, but convenience vs. having your own gear that you like and are used to. If I was on a trip for other reasons and was just sneaking a couple dives in, I'll likely need more regular clothes and stuff, and it might be hard or not worth the trouble to haul all my dive gear. If it's mainly a dive trip, all my gear (sans weights and tanks of course) is coming with me.

Reg I usually carry on, but depends where I'm going. Some places are very restrictive on carry on weight/size, and Philippines is an example of a place that doesn't actually allow regs in carry on.

Computer carry on, unless it's attached to a reg I'm checking. (No, you don't need to worry about pressure changes in the hold, it's the same as where you're sitting.)

Card carry on you for sure. Log if you take one with you, I don't. Better to have it on line where you can't lose it anyway.

Mask carry on. Snorkel checked. Snorkel is rarely important enough to carry on - most people don't even carry one at all. Defog checked, not worth the space in my quart bag. They'll probably have some where you're going anyway.

I would not carry on a BC, though I know some people insist on trying. There are too many things I'd much rather use the carry on space for. Ditto for any exposure protection, although I might tuck a thin dive skin in carry-on.

Fins checked. I would always take mine, not rent. Rental fins often suck, you want the ones you're used to that fit well, don't give you blisters, and behave how you like. I'd almost rather rent a BC than fins. Plus, if you have a chance to do some snorkeling as well, you have fins ready to go.

. . .
I would not carry on a BC, though I know some people insist on trying. There are too many things I'd much rather use the carry on space for. . . .

No problem--you can take up someone else's space in the overhead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom