How to pack gear for flights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to do it regularly and just rent a BC when I got there. I have Size L ScubaPro Jet Fins and they fit into my carry-on. Lately I have been removing my small, single-tank travel BC from the backplate. I attach my small backpack to the backplate and use those straps instead, and it goes under the seat. The wing is carefully packed into the carry-on. I usually travel to warm water so my 2.5mm full suit fits into either my carry-on or backpack, depending upon how quickly I packed :wink: My girlfriend always brings a checked bag so that allows me to bring a knife and a few tools. I do not like to put any dive gear into a checked bag if I don't have to because I have seen too many people arrive at their destination without their luggage. Since I'm usually going someplace warm I don't bring a lot of clothes, just enough shorts and T-shirts to last a few days and wash them in the bathroom sink as I go along. I also bring a small umbrella whenever I go to the tropics. Most of the time I end up bringing back more T-shirts that I arrived with. I nearly always bring a hat and that goes on my head, except when going through security.

Some of the things that must go into a checked bag are: knives, tools, lead weights, spare lithium batteries ( though this regulation seems to go back and forth somewhat). And, of course, any liquids over 3.5 ounces.

Some items I bring along "just in case" and if I haven't used it on the last 8-10 trips then it gets removed from my carry-on or backpack. Except the padlock. I rarely stay at a place with lockers but it's sure nice to have when you do.

Some of the things that must go into a checked bag are: knives, tools, lead weights, ...
Why do you carry weight during an airplane trip ? Wouldn’t it be much easier to borrow a belt and/or a few weights ?

Computer, transmitter, certs (physical and electronic) in my carry on

Everything else in the hold.

50 flights, 5 years into some pretty sketchy places, never lost a thing

Never to the US though. I hear it's thief central :wink:

Why do you carry weight during an airplane trip ? Wouldn’t it be much easier to borrow a belt and/or a few weights ?

Certainly, if you are going on a dive boat they always (as far as I know) supply weights, but a couple of times in Hawai'i I was doing a lot of shore diving so I saved enough on weight rental to do a two-tank boat dive. The first time I didn't know that weights were not allowed in carry-on so I was in the little booth with my arms up and being asked a lot of questions. Also, I may be renting a place on Cozumel so I'll gradually bring some weights with me to have there. It's sometimes cheaper to rent a tank if you don't need weights too. Since I'll probably be diving about every other day, it all adds up. One time I bought some weights at a flea market when I first got there and gave them to a friend when I left. It was much cheaper than renting the weights.

I try to pack everything I “need” to dive into carry on, for tropical diving, I didn’t follow my own rule on a trip to Truk last year, my bags with bp/w mask exposure protection and computer all got to vacation on Guam for a few days while I went on to Truk. I did have my back up computer, regulator and a pair of GO fins in my carry on, a rental jacket and mask got me through the first few days but diving my own gear is preferred. Now main gear travels with me.

when packing for a warm water DIVE trip, pack you necessary dive gear, pack the bare minimum of clothes, the very least you can picture needing. Take 1/2 of the clothes out and put them away, you’ll still have more than you need.

I try to pack everything I “need” to dive into carry on, for tropical diving, I didn’t follow my own rule on a trip to Truk last year, my bags with bp/w mask exposure protection and computer all got to vacation on Guam for a few days while I went on to Truk. I did have my back up computer, regulator and a pair of GO fins in my carry on, a rental jacket and mask got me through the first few days but diving my own gear is preferred. Now main gear travels with me.

when packing for a warm water DIVE trip, pack you necessary dive gear, pack the bare minimum of clothes, the very least you can picture needing. Take 1/2 of the clothes out and put them away, you’ll still have more than you need.
Well, I packed for the trip, brought everything. It all arrived, though I only checked my fins and gear bag. Went for a swim at the beach in my skin suit and was a little warm, even at sunset. That's 81F, so I hope I'll be okay in my 2.5mm shorty at depth.

Well, I packed for the trip, brought everything. It all arrived, though I only checked my fins and gear bag. Went for a swim at the beach in my skin suit and was a little warm, even at sunset. That's 81F, so I hope I'll be okay in my 2.5mm shorty at depth.
Water is getting cold, we had 86° all the way to 180ft.

I take the hydros pro, 2 masks, legend supreme reg, 2 computers, 3 lights, my sons reg, dsmb, save a dive kit, 2 tank weights, and tg5 w housing in the hydros backpack. The jet sport fins strapped outside of the hydros bag, and this only counts as my personal bag. Wetsuits go in carry on or checked. The back back is heavy as hell and fully packed, but when I travel with my wife packing space is at a premium.

I carry my regs, mask and computer in hand luggage. The rest goes in a hold bag and including the bag and a couple of towels and a pair of trainers it weighs about 17 Kg so now way could it be hand baggage.

So I finally received our new Globetrotter Backpacks. They have been back ordered for a while.

Carry-on Gear

Akona Regulator Bag containing:
SP MkV w/ 156/108 Regulator Set, B&G SPG
Dive Computer w/ batteries
Mask Box containing:
Mask and small baby shampoo
Compass
SMB / Spool
SP Jetfins (L) w/ spring straps
3mm booties
Oxycheq 18# wing / travel plate w/ SS hardware

This is easily packed with enough space to allow for a full 3mm suit and a couple of days clothing. Total weight is about 24#. 18# if I check the fins. This all fits within the SWA allowable carry on size (10”x16”x24”) pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom