How to paint neoprene or rubber??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rubber I dont know how to paint. Wanna paint my Jetfins camo so still doing research. Neoprene, ok here is the recipe I use:
Go to Walmart or Michaels and get the acrylic craftpaints of the colors you will need for your camo. Next and only at Michaels have I found this, go to the Acrylic (Not Oil) painting section, brushes-canvas etc. Locate the shelf with all the bottles and jars of Acrylic Painting Mediums. Ask the manager in charge of that section. If he knows where it is then faint. They usually dont know. Anyway, grab a bottle of TEXTILE or FABRIC MEDIUM and make sure your suit is clean and dry and pick a shady spot. Now MIX TWO PARTS PAINT --ONE PART TEXTILE MEDIUM. Apply with those cheap brushes you find at Big Lots or 99 cent store. Never use real sable brushes. Keep a sponge handy to make your pattern a little fuzzy and hard to spot underwater. The paint will soak into your suit so you might have to make several passes and let dry. You can do second layers like I do but after it dries stretch that suit. Presto, now ya got a cool suit everyone thinks you spent lotsa Samolians on and looks factory. I have three suits I have already painted, no cracking peeling or fading and all used in the ocean. My first suit has a total of 4 months in the ocean and still no signs of fade crack or peel. I have used them all diving with tanks so I can test the longevity of the paint at all depths. So far so good. The neoprene is not affected. One little note. Do not use the new "Martha Stewart Acrylic Paints" that are gauranteed to stay on any surface. They wont stay on. LOL . Hope this helps. I will be next experimenting on my old Scubapro Jetfins. Not the split fins. The regular ones. Hugs and Kisses, The Bilge Rat.

Last edited:
Found paint that works on rubber. Hi, I'm not a diver but stumbled onto this site looking for how to paint rubber boots, so thought I'd reply with what I discovered. I'm a painter-around my house and also fine arts, oils and acrylics, and I have done a lot of crafty stuff. I just painted an old pair of black rubber boots to go with my son's "green army man" costume for Halloween.
First I brushed on a coat of "Mod Podge". You get this in a craft store like Michael's. It's been around for 50 years. It's a vinyl based adhesive and sealer, can use as base coat and top coat. The Mod Podge stuck to the rubber, so I proceeded with a few coats of green ACRYLIC craft paint, also from craft store, comes in small plastic squeeze bottles. I let dry between coats, then added a top coat of Mod Podge. It goes on milky white and dries clear. Boots are lookin good, flex without any cracking or peeling. Don't know yet how long it will last, or what salt water would do to it.
Agree with other posts, for putting your name on rubber, use a paint pen-also from craft store-you can get 40% off coupons from Michael's.com. (or try nail polish in your fave color :)
PS..... I first cleaned the boots with a degreaser spray...."greased lightening", then washed with soap & water & let air dry before painting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom