How to Pick the Best Liveaboard for Your Next Dive Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many good points, Richard. I've looked into some of your posts and found quite bit of useful information. I appreciate the time and energy you put into all of them.

Shawn
"0 dives but everyday I smile in anticipation of the 1st."

One thing I wish for, not just in live-aboard trips but even land-based, is a contrarian assessment; a list of barriers, problems, etc..., that a person needs to know about when considering the trip. One thing you don't want is the wrong customer having an awful time at the wrong destination, coming home & badmouthing it and/or the dive op. online to whoever will listen. A successful sell to the wrong person can cost you...Richard.

This thread, describing the extreme currents, convinced me that Tobago wouldn't be a good choice for me! And I appreciated that information.

Tobago - Give the good and the bad

Rich, I agree. There are critical points about different locations some of which were captured in the article, but just as a general example. Anilao and Puerto Galera are two great Philippine destinations, both which I'd recommend, but divers should understand the key differences in the two.

Anilao like PG is LAND BASED, but that said, you could actually say the resorts are LAND LOCKED. A trip to the nearest real inhabited 'town' from the Anilao dive shops along Mabini is by car or tuk-tuk, and it isn't for 'entertainment value'... you go to Anilao, you basically stay in Anilao. And if you choose to be near Anilao pier, you are literally adding 20-30 minutes to get to the key dive sites. You are subject to the schedule of the resort for making dinner in the Anilao resorts as meals are generally included due to the captive nature of the accommodations. Things like mango shakes, beer, etc are extra, but they do a good job with the food, and rarely double up their dishes over the course of a week. The other thing here is that like a liveaboard, you'll likely see the same people for the entire week. Both on and off the boat.

In PG, it's the opposite, from the moment you get of the banca in Sabang or PG harbor, you are faced with resorts and bars. The entire beach side is nothing but hotels and dive shops. And you'll leave and return from there every day. The negative there is that not everyone is interested in the 'bar life' after a day of diving, and it's loud and has a list of other things that come with it. The nice thing is that you have a lot of flexibility for where and when you eat, if you want to hit a bar, or if you want to go find a quiet hideaway. Here, you might tend to get a little variety to the people you are diving with as it seems that many peoples trips overlap.

Now, as far as toilet paper myths, I've stayed in Bohol (Panglao - Alona Beach), PG, Anilao, Coron, and Subic Bay over the last couple years, some places multiple times, and everywhere I have been has had good toilet facilities with TP available. (now, that isn't true about the rest stops on the highway between places like Anilao and Manila, so word to the wise, keep travel packets of TP in your backpack or reg bag).

I traded some of my toilet paper for a young divers cherry one night. He was staying at Altantis in Sabang.

It happens.

Wingy, you did what?!!

I gazed into his eyes and asked softly...can I take your cherry?

He blushed and nodded awkwardly before replying....if you give me some toilet paper, my room hasn't got any

His maraschino cherry on his daqcuiri LMFAO...sorry I could not resist - I met him through scuba board too....I'm quite a terrible human being lol!

He blushed and nodded awkwardly before replying....if you give me some toilet paper, my room hasn't got any

His maraschino cherry on his daqcuiri LMFAO...sorry I could not resist - I met him through scuba board too....I'm quite a terrible human being lol!

I swear my fitbit just recorded me having a heart attack over this!!

I *knew* it!!! Hahaha

Strange , but I can't see half of the article...
About house slippers - when the weather is nasty, you will definitely want to be cozy. But it so personal - my husband seams does't care about comfort, but I experience so much pleasure to be in my poncho and house shoes when it is rain and wind outside!

If you want to do adventure in Maldives choosing right liveaboard is important because Maldives exploration demands out of the way adventure.
Following are the main points you have mentioned before selecting a live aboard

1. Boat Price
    2. Destinations
    3. Boat Facilities
    4. Boat Staff
    5. Food

Back
Top Bottom