How to piss off a Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was not the DM for this dive, so I an only imagine.

It was in Cozumel, where all the dives are drift dives, and the current can be quite strong. We had completed our first dive, and the DM asked what we wanted to do on the second. We eventually decided on a dive well known for strong currents, but with a very long and complicated swim though. We wanted to do that swim through, so that was the plan.

On the first dive, my insta-buddy, an experienced diver, had been quite independent, straining my skills on staying with him. He clearly had no thoughts of staying with me. I didn't think it was that big of a deal--I can fend for myself, but I still felt an obligation. On this dive it was more of the same. He kept darting away, and I kept chasing after him. I knew the site pretty well, and when the DM started to take the group in a certain direction, I knew that he was heading for the swim through, the target destination for the dive. But my buddy was heading off to explore something else. I hung out half way between him and the rest of the group with the DM as they paused near the beginning of the swim through.

The DM was looking back at me, and I pointed to where my buddy was headed. Even at that distance, I could sense the despair on the part of the DM. My buddy had gone too far with the current to get back with the group, so he took the group to get to my buddy.

Back on the boat, my buddy asked what happened to that great swim through we sere supposed to see. After some prolonged glares from everyone, we told him that we had missed it because we had to chase him down. He thought that was funny.

So, if I were a DM, I would think a pet peeve are the divers who think they are so wonderful that they don't have to follow the plan, and they don't care how many people's dives they screw over.

Oooooooh that would piss me off so bad I would pop him a good one in the face overboard and ask him how funny he thinks he is now....

*~ Adventurer for life ~*

Outhinking the help is not a paying customer's job.

I am not sure that that pointing out that one is diving different equipment is having to outthink the help. Seems to me to not only be a common courtesy, but possibly avoiding a problem. Much like not referring to employees as the help, which conversely shows no common courtesy and may be putting your own fin in your mouth. If you want respect, you should give it.
RichH

I am not sure that that pointing out that one is diving different equipment is having to outthink the help. Seems to me to not only be a common courtesy, but possibly avoiding a problem. Much like not referring to employees as the help, which conversely shows no common courtesy and may be putting your own fin in your mouth. If you want respect, you should give it.
RichH

You seem confused about the DM's role -- it is neither to make their bosses' customers work harder nor to present a problem the customers need to solve. You also seem confused about who has to take the first leap of faith in the 'get/give respect' iterated prisoners' dilemma (hint, it's not the diver paying for the dubious pleasure of your company).

If you see a diver on the boat with equipment you don't understand, it behooves you to ask (not touch) what you think you need to know in order to perform your duties. As a certified diver, respect is to assume they understand their own gear despite your ignorance of it and that they've set it up correctly...until and unless they give reason to think otherwise.

You seem confused about the DM's role -- it is neither to make their bosses' customers work harder nor to present a problem the customers need to solve. You also seem confused about who has to take the first leap of faith in the 'get/give respect' iterated prisoners' dilemma (hint, it's not the diver paying for the dubious pleasure of your company).

If you see a diver on the boat with equipment you don't understand, it behooves you to ask (not touch) what you think you need to know in order to perform your duties. As a certified diver, respect is to assume they understand their own gear despite your ignorance of it and that they've set it up correctly...until and unless they give reason to think otherwise.

When diving from someone else's boat it is probably best to follow their guidelines. As I have always been taught, respect is earned, not demanded or expected. Since that dive operator, Captain and dive pros all have, at the least, some implied liability, it is their call how the boat runs.

I do totally agree that no one should touch equipment they don't understand. That still gives you no right to be condescending and threatening to those doing the job for which they are being paid. Whether you believe it or not most DM'S are just trying to do their job and be pleasant. I am sure you are a great guy and diver, doesn't give you the right to be rude to the hired help. Maybe, with a little tact and tolerance you wouldn't be so pissed all the time. One usually finds what they seek.
BTW , you do know that this thread is about what pisses off DM'S right? There are probably several threads about DM'S pissing off divers.
RichH

Last edited:
You seem confused about the DM's role
and you seem adamant to see Divemasters in your own, very particular light.

I find it odd that you are talking the loudest on this particular thread when you display 'Solo Diver' in your profile. I would not have thought you had anything to do with DM's after showing such a credential... and yet here you are...

I can say this has been an interesting thread to read. What pisses off a DM? LOL! Hey, there seems be an ass on every boat and if you can't spot the ass, it may be you! I think the problem the dive industry is running into these days was most prominently displayed on my last 2-week trip to Cozumel that ended on Christmas day. My wife and I have been diving Cozumel for years. Not so long ago, divers were divers and tourists were tourists and we had little in common. We stayed at different places and ate in different restaurants. Now, with these big resorts you end up getting on boats with people who want to do it all and diving is just a small slice of what they want to do. These "tourists" who have "resort dollars" to spend and were previously certified at some 48-hour crash course at another resort last year now chose to spend some resort credits on a day of diving with their other credits spent on a wave runners, a dune buggy trip, parasailing, a trip to the Myan ruins, a massage, a dinner, and whatever other excursion their resort may offer to consume their credits. The days of flying in on a Saturday, diving with the same group of divers all week and flying out the following Saturday seem to have passed. I know what pisses off DM's as they told me on this last trip... Aside from the little things it is that the industry has changed and they no longer take "Divers" diving but take "Tourists" who don't know what they are doing for an experience. One DM who used to find all the little treasures and point them out was scolded by his new boss for not finding enough "Big Stuff" (lobsters, crabs, Morays, stingrays, eagle rays, sharks, etc). I'd throw turtles in there too but I do love turtles. HE was told to find big things for the tourists and their cameras and Go Pros or whatever they are called. On our last day of diving I told our long time DM friens with this dive op that we want to see the little things again. He told us about a frog he had seen for the last few weeks on one coral head and planed a dive FOR US with all the tourists in tow. He spent about 3-4 minutes searching for that frog fish on that coral head and never found it. He motioned that he had to move on and I motioned OK. Then I watched the rest of the tourists following swarm this coral head and start taking pic after pic and live video and everything AND THERE WAS NOTHING THERE!!!! As the dive progressed, we worked our way into the shallower water and the grasses and sure enough he points out a beautiful orange seahorse and signals for all. My wife descends and turns back up-current at gets spectacular photos. The "tourists" with no boyancy control look down, see nothing, and continue their drift 15' off the bottom in some half assed upright position trying to walk in water just looking around. DM's have their hands full these days with "poppers" or "corks" they need to haul back from uncontrolled surfacing to the "rocks" who are happy to hit bottom and then walk on the reef or grab ahold of anything they can find trying to whatever it they are are trying to do. Watching these "tourists" made me sick. I know it happens but watching it and the soft and hard corals kicked off a reef by some tourist idiot ruins a dive experience for me and it ruins the experience for the DM's whose living depends on the reefs remaing in good condition. What truly pisses off a DM? A "tourist". Nuf said.

deepsea21,

Not all operators on Cozumel have these divers. I would not use one that did. You are responsible for choosing your operator, regardless of where you are staying. If you do not, you are at their mercy.

Good diving, Craig

I can say this has been an interesting thread to read. What pisses off a DM? LOL! Hey, there seems be an ass on every boat and if you can't spot the ass, it may be you! I think the problem the dive industry is running into these days was most prominently displayed on my last 2-week trip to Cozumel that ended on Christmas day. My wife and I have been diving Cozumel for years. Not so long ago, divers were divers and tourists were tourists and we had little in common. We stayed at different places and ate in different restaurants. Now, with these big resorts you end up getting on boats with people who want to do it all and diving is just a small slice of what they want to do. These "tourists" who have "resort dollars" to spend and were previously certified at some 48-hour crash course at another resort last year now chose to spend some resort credits on a day of diving with their other credits spent on a wave runners, a dune buggy trip, parasailing, a trip to the Myan ruins, a massage, a dinner, and whatever other excursion their resort may offer to consume their credits. The days of flying in on a Saturday, diving with the same group of divers all week and flying out the following Saturday seem to have passed. I know what pisses off DM's as they told me on this last trip... Aside from the little things it is that the industry has changed and they no longer take "Divers" diving but take "Tourists" who don't know what they are doing for an experience. One DM who used to find all the little treasures and point them out was scolded by his new boss for not finding enough "Big Stuff" (lobsters, crabs, Morays, stingrays, eagle rays, sharks, etc). I'd throw turtles in there too but I do love turtles. HE was told to find big things for the tourists and their cameras and Go Pros or whatever they are called. On our last day of diving I told our long time DM friens with this dive op that we want to see the little things again. He told us about a frog he had seen for the last few weeks on one coral head and planed a dive FOR US with all the tourists in tow. He spent about 3-4 minutes searching for that frog fish on that coral head and never found it. He motioned that he had to move on and I motioned OK. Then I watched the rest of the tourists following swarm this coral head and start taking pic after pic and live video and everything AND THERE WAS NOTHING THERE!!!! As the dive progressed, we worked our way into the shallower water and the grasses and sure enough he points out a beautiful orange seahorse and signals for all. My wife descends and turns back up-current at gets spectacular photos. The "tourists" with no boyancy control look down, see nothing, and continue their drift 15' off the bottom in some half assed upright position trying to walk in water just looking around. DM's have their hands full these days with "poppers" or "corks" they need to haul back from uncontrolled surfacing to the "rocks" who are happy to hit bottom and then walk on the reef or grab ahold of anything they can find trying to whatever it they are are trying to do. Watching these "tourists" made me sick. I know it happens but watching it and the soft and hard corals kicked off a reef by some tourist idiot ruins a dive experience for me and it ruins the experience for the DM's whose living depends on the reefs remaing in good condition. What truly pisses off a DM? A "tourist". Nuf said.

Next time spend your money more wisely with a dive operator with enough of a business who separates your 'tourists' from you on different boats. Problem solved. You get what you pay for.

Thank you Craig and Mike... I know what you are talking about and you may even know the dive op I was with for so many years. It was a great op. I loved the slow boats as I really enjoyed the slow cruise to the southen dive sites where we could look at that place my wife and I were married on the beach to years ago. It pains me to leave these guys after 10+ years. But, that time comes with a change of ownership and dropping $1,500 for a week of diving and watching these resort "tourists" just isnt' gonna happen again. If you know a great dive op in Cozumel that services the town please let me know .

Thank you Craig and Mike... I know what you are talking about and you may even know the dive op I was with for so many years. It was a great op. I loved the slow boats as I really enjoyed the slow cruise to the southen dive sites where we could look at that place my wife and I were married on the beach to years ago. It pains me to leave these guys after 10+ years. But, that time comes with a change of ownership and dropping $1,500 for a week of diving and watching these resort "tourists" just isnt' gonna happen again. If you know a great dive op in Cozumel that services the town please let me know .

PM sent

C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom