How to remove rust im 1st stage regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexter Yap

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi first of all just want to know if this rust can affect the air I breath iin my regulator underwater? Is it not safe anymore?

2nd any advice on how to remove the rust?

The regulator is a Sherwood SR2 had this for 2 years now...
IMG_20190111_211148.jpg
IMG_20190111_211200.jpg

Put in a new filter and snap ring. See what it looks like inside. Have it serviced?

It needs to be serviced and better post dive care to get the salt off of it. The rust almost looks like it’s from the filter retainer and not tank contamination. The pictures show a lot of corrosion, the sort that comes from something stored wet.

Time to service.

Now, going forward, rinse, rinse, rinse (but that area should be dry, and the dust cap should be dry before putting it on and rinsing)

I see Ill ask the dive shop where I bought it and get it serviced again. Ironically beforenI got this serviced the filter looks fine. After service and a few dives I got this rust.

Does it affect my air? Coz I have upcoming dive in the next two days.

This is my original filter.
15472136252122298514627670488995.jpg

It needs to be serviced and better post dive care to get the salt off of it. The rust almost looks like it’s from the filter retainer and not tank contamination. The pictures show a lot of corrosion, the sort that comes from something stored wet.

Is it better that when storing and drying I leave the dust cap open?

Have you used it since service? How long since it’s last use?

There is a lot of corrosion on the body which should have been cleaned off in the service and those parts look pretty good.

I would probably not take that reg in this condition on a dive trip.

Is it better that when storing and drying I leave the dust cap open?
Blow all of the water off of the cap before you install it, or wipe it dry. Once you soak and rinse leave the cap off until everything is dry, using a moist rag wipe off the parts that go under the cap before drying, once dry put the cap on and store the reg set where air can circulate freely around it.

Have you used it since service? How long since it’s last use?

There is a lot of corrosion on the body which should have been cleaned off in the service and those parts look pretty good.

I would probably not take that reg in this condition on a dive trip.

My wife used it for less than 10 dives. Im usually the one who rinse it. Maybe I did something wrong in one of the process.

Is it okay to use hot water (not boiling) from bath heater to rinse the regulator? Because I remember doing that.

Blow all of the water off of the cap before you install it, or wipe it dry. Once you soak and rinse leave the cap off until everything is dry, using a moist rag wipe off the parts that go under the cap before drying, once dry put the cap on and store the reg set where air can circulate freely around it.

Thanks for the detailed instruction. Appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom