How to remove Seized Din Insert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought an used tank. Worthington HP100. Passed hydro and viz.

I tried to remove the din insert and it wont budge at all. Taking a look at it, the valve is heavily seized with salt residue. Any advice?

I am currently experiencing the same thing. I pulled the valve off the cylinder. And now have it soaking in a white vinegar-water solution. It is pretty good at dissolving salt residue.

Yeah soak to dissolve it first, then put the hex key in and give it a few gentle whacks with a rubber hammer or something like that. Clean out the threads after.

impact gun with appropriate hex bit. Put on tighten first until you see some sort of movement, then loosen. You can do it without soaking, but you MUST tighten it first. This also works with rusty bolts as an fyi. You don't need a huge gun that you use on tires, but those won't hurt it. The impact wrenches that come with most screw gun sets these days for driving screws are sufficient.

I would disassemble the valve and heat the stuck insert with a propane torch, then cool with a wet towel and try to remove it. I sometimes have to use something like Aero Kroil along with heat. I have disassembled many old frozen vintage valves this way with no damage. All I see with using just force is a stripped hex in the insert, then it a matter of cutting it out piece by piece.

I would disassemble the valve and heat the stuck insert with a propane torch, then cool with a wet towel and try to remove it. I sometimes have to use something like Aero Kroil along with heat. I have disassembled many old frozen vintage valves this way with no damage. All I see with using just force is a stripped hex in the insert, then it a matter of cutting it out piece by piece.

impact guns almost never strip the hex heads. It's when people try to use cheater bars or just crank on it that they strip. Impact guns are used for a reason on seized bolts, same with tightening first.

impact guns almost never strip the hex heads. It's when people try to use cheater bars or just crank on it that they strip. Impact guns are used for a reason on seized bolts, same with tightening first.[/QUOTE]

Steel is one thing brass is much softer. This is a video I made removing a frozen screw from a vintage US Divers Mistral regulator. No force would have gotten it out with no damage.

Ultrasonic cleaner with a warm dilute vinegar bath if you have one would probably be bit more effective than just soaking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom