How to: Removing salt and scale from cooling system passages with vinegar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Being a new member/sponsor but not having much to add in the way of diving experience, I thought some of you might be interested in this.

I conducted a little test yesterday that some of you might be interested in.

The test was to see the effectiveness of using vinegar to remove salt and scale deposits from a marine engine. We know that you can buy salt removing products such as Salt Away and Salt-X but I was a believer that vinegar would be just as effective.
The test subject is a salt water used 1994 Yamaha 130 V4 with unknown history of maintenance until about 18 months ago. At that time I purchased the engine and have used it about 80% in salt and flushed thoroughly after every use. I recently ran the boat for about 50 miles in fresh water and then a nice salt water run about a week ago.

I filled a large heavy duty garbage can about 2/3 full with water and added 4 gallons of vinegar. The boat has a nosecone and uses a transom mounted water pickup so I disconnected the house, primed the pump, and dropped it into the water then lowered the lower unit as far as possible.

Yes, that is a little grass stuck in the t-stats. Last time out I ran through a lot of floating grass in Charlotte Harbor that gets pickup up by my transom mount pickup.

This is my little go fast tunnel hull. I also have a Fountain CC with a 225 Opti and did the same treatment but did not take pics.

These are pics of the test subject, thermostats, and housings prior to the test.

IMG_0842 (Medium).jpgIMG_0815 (Medium).jpgIMG_0816 (Medium).jpgIMG_0819 (Medium).jpgIMG_0820 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
I continued to run the boat on and off all day for maybe an 1-1/2 hour total but didnt see whole lot of improvment. When I finished I pulled it apart again and this is the result. The scale on the thermostats simply wiped off leaving the shiny surface in the second pic.

IMG_0832 (Medium).jpgIMG_0833 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
When I started, the scale (not salt) buildup was hard as iron. I noticed when I was done it was very soft...kind of gooey. There was no way I could have removed it prior to this test but after, most of it easily came out with a spray from a garden hose and I scooped some out with a screwdrive. I think going for a good run in the boat right after this treatment would remove a lot of that loosened material that just didnt get washed away idleing in a bucket.
This is the t-stat housing before the test and after a good squirt with a hose and a little cleaning.

IMG_0819 (Medium).jpgIMG_0838 (Medium).jpg

Heres some video I took before and after. I saw a small improvement in water pressure but I wouldnt put a lot of weight on that which could be caused by a small change in how it was idling or the water source.

[video=youtube;txPss8dJa30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txPss8dJa30[/video]

Overall, I am completely convinced vinegar does a great job of removing salt and even loosens the scale buildup inside the cooling system of a fresh water cooled engine. This will now be a regular part of my maintenance program. As far as it comparing to salt removing products sold to boaters, I cant imagine they would work any better. The salt is almost completely gone which is the goal IMO.

A few words of caution:
1. Remove your prop to avoid a potential accident.
2. The water GETS HOT.
3. Dont leave your boat idleing unattended.

Here is the garbage can. The water started clear. When it all settles, I will pour off the top and post pics of what came out.IMG_0840 (Medium).jpg

Thanks.
Another tip that has worked very well for me is to use vinegar when washing the boat at the end of the day. I use a "dial-a-sprayer" hose end type attachment used for gardening. I fill it 1/3 with inexpensive Blue Coral car soap and 1/3 with vinegar. Set the dial to where you just start to get some suds when spraying down the boat. It works VERY well for removing salt from the boat. There is a huge difference in the amount of salt on my black motor cowlings if I do this vs. just spraying them down with water alone. I spray the whole boat, t-top to bottom and then brush what needs it. I also have hot water plumbing outside which also helps remove salt.
The fishing boat is a 2003 and I dont think youll find a cleaner 8 year old salt water boat in Florida. This stuff is too expensive not to take of!
Do you guys use anything except straight water for cleaning your dive gear after a salt water dive?

PS. Really surprised how little traffic this section of the forum sees. Last new thread was in May!

Back
Top Bottom