How to repair latex seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A small patch will work well, another reason for hanging on to the trimmings from the neck & wrist seals. Use a bicycle innertube repair kit, their glue works very well. Lacking that I've had good results with plain old wetsuit cement.
I don't think the AquaSeal will last very long if the area is subject to much stretching.
Precleaning / surface prep is essential, the instructions above are very good.
I've repaired split neck seals before using seal trimmings, they lasted for a couple weeks under daily use 'till the repair parts found their way to me.
The real telling factor is how much stretching the area is subject to.

Bob3:
A small patch will work well, another reason for hanging on to the trimmings from the neck & wrist seals. Use a bicycle innertube repair kit, their glue works very well. Lacking that I've had good results with plain old wetsuit cement.
I don't think the AquaSeal will last very long if the area is subject to much stretching.
Precleaning / surface prep is essential, the instructions above are very good.
I've repaired split neck seals before using seal trimmings, they lasted for a couple weeks under daily use 'till the repair parts found their way to me.
The real telling factor is how much stretching the area is subject to.

Hi,
The hole is right by where the seal connects to the suit. That shouldn't have too much stretching, correct? So what do you think my best option is?

Darryl

dvleemin:
Hi,
The hole is right by where the seal connects to the suit. That shouldn't have too much stretching, correct? So what do you think my best option is?

Darryl

There should be very little stretching to worry about, if you can get a small patch on the inside with a dot of Aqua Seal on the outside you should get quite a bit of mileage from it yet.
Just be sure to degrease with a clean rag, light scuff with sandpaper or open weave abrasive, followed by a good degreasing again with another clean rag. Don't even get fingerprints on the area to be glued.
Watch out for the rags with thinner, they can get HOT from just sitting there if bunched up.

Bob3:
There should be very little stretching to worry about, if you can get a small patch on the inside with a dot of Aqua Seal on the outside you should get quite a bit of mileage from it yet.
Just be sure to degrease with a clean rag, light scuff with sandpaper or open weave abrasive, followed by a good degreasing again with another clean rag. Don't even get fingerprints on the area to be glued.
Watch out for the rags with thinner, they can get HOT from just sitting there if bunched up.

Thanks Bob.
What do you reccomend using as a degreaser - just some soap and water, or something stronger?

Thanks,

Darryl

dvleemin:
Thanks Bob.
What do you reccomend using as a degreaser - just some soap and water, or something stronger?
I prefer toluene, it cuts the grease well & doesn't make mischief with most suit materials as long as it evaporates in the normal manner.
Lacking that alcohol is recommended.
Watch out for soaps, oil + soap makes something that likes to eat latex if not rinsed off thoroughly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom