How to Return to Air Mode Suunto DX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am diving Nitrox in Cozumel and switched to mixed mode with a secondary gas set to 32. We did a night dive after on air and I could not get the computer to return to Air mode. I changed the FO2 to 21 on the primary mixed gas but it would be nice to just go back to air after using mixed. I read through the manual and I can't find how to get out of mixed mode. I turned off mix 2 and beyond but still no luck. Any Suunto experts know how to do this? Thanks

You probably need to wait a while and the option will come back. In my opinion air mode is pointless, just set it to 21% Nitrox.

You say you set a SECONDARY gas to 32%. Did you then select that gas on the dive? Are you sure the computer thought you were actually using 32%? Were you diving 32 or was that your buddy?

The treatment of which gas is considered on a dive is slightly complicated.

There are the gasses you are carrying and expect to use and want considered for your ascent timing, then there are the gases someone else is carrying and you might want to switch to if you borrow them. Last 5here are gases you left at home but don’t want to be reentering when you actually use them.

There needs to be a way to tell the computer that. My Suuntos are all lent out and of the generation before the DX but I seem to recall that Primary means “I have it and plan to use it”, Secondary “it is here somewhere but not the plan, I may need to switch to it but ignore it for TTS” and off means it is in the garage at home.

If you are personally diving the 32 you probably just want one gas programmed as a primary and change that between 21 and 32 dive by dive. Then there is no question about which gas is being used. For no stop dives where you and your buddy are on different gases then the different mixes are the least of your problem in an air sharing situation and telling the computer you are on a different mix is likely to be counterproductive.

I don't see it in the manual but it could be that if you dive in mode other than "Air" you need to wait until the "No fly time" count down completes before you can switch to Air mode.

Here are the directions from page 24 of the manual; if the above is incorrect, perhaps this will help:
By default, Air mode is activated when you enter dive mode. You can change which mode is activated or turn dive mode off under the general settings.To change dive modes:

1. While in time mode, keep [DOWN] pressed.
2. Press [SELECT] to enter Dive Mode.
3. Change to the desired mode with [UP] or [DOWN] and confirm with [SELECT] .
4. Press [MODE] to exit.Each dive mode has its own settings which you need to adjust while in the given mode.

To modify dive mode settings:
1. While in a given dive mode, keep [DOWN] pressed
.2. Press [DOWN] or [UP] to scroll through the settings.
3. Press [SELECT] to enter a setting.
4. Adjust the setting with [DOWN] or [Up] and confirm with [SELECT] .
5. Press [MODE] to exit.
NOTE: Some settings cannot be changed until five (5) minutes have elapsed after the dive

-Z

Thanka for the replies. The DX seems a bit different from the D9 and below. I was using 32, and I set gas 2 at 32 and then selected Mix2 as primary for my dive. My plan was to switch back to air for the night dive but it wouldn't give that option. I set gas 1 to 21, and then selected Mix 1 as primary for that dive. It worked but is a bit tedious. Today after my no fly indicator was gone I tried and the Air option was back. Perhaps you are correct it waits for your desat to complete. Thanks.

I dive the Vyper Novo and leave it in Nitrox mode at all times. You can change the mix any time you want. I just set it to 21% for air. But as you have found, you cannot change modes for quite some time after your last dive. So if you do a dive on Nitrox and then want to do one on air, the only thing you can do is change the percentage to 21%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom