• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How to secure signal mirror

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by anchochile, Jan 31, 2020.

1. anchochile

anchochile Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I have a small, very lightweight signal mirror that is positively buoyant. I'm wondering what the best way is to tie/clip it off in my pocket so that I don't lose it when I'm getting out my DSMB or otherwise fiddling around in the pocket.

The obvious answer is a small bolt snap - the mirror has a small hole in the corner for tying off. But I'm worried even a small bolt snap will make the mirror sink if I drop it while on the surface.

Is there a best practice for how to secure a signal mirror without compromising its positive buoyancy?

2. JackOfDiamonds

JackOfDiamonds ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Bungee / rope

Secure it on one end and tie it so you have a loop in the other end , can easily be attached/detached to anything in seconds.

I would recommend Bungee so you wont need to have so much slack in order to secure it (loop it around itself)

delacrue96 and anchochile like this.
  3. Dan

Dan Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I tether it to the rest of my PLB & PAB and put them in me left waist BCD pocket with the end of the leash clipped to BCD pocket D-ring.

The DSMB & reel is in right waist BCD pocket.

0E6D4B8C-53D1-4863-995A-1952EF07D53D.jpeg
    EBA1B903-B4A4-4E5F-B55F-819FC9D38465.jpeg

anchochile likes this.
  4. Kamaros

Kamaros DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    You could tie a loop and use a double ender for clipping it to D-rings, rather than permanently tying it to a bolt snap.